broke my collar bone

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Floating teetH, Oct 12, 2005.

1. there's this notorious (cursed) hammock in my sisters back yard. First it bruised my moms lower back (thing right above the cocix), now it broke my collar bone.

I'm not very happy about the whole thing.

The phones are still all messed up from the storm, so for quite some time i was just waiting w/ no way to contact anyone. finally i remembered that my sisters work number was on my phone, and i was able to contact her that way.

now i've got a sling and some vicodins (serious disappointment), can't play bass, can't take my shirt off. showering is going to be risky business.
  2. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Wait till you try to sneeze, been there and know your pain. Get used to sleeping in a recliner as well.

3. yeah, i'm sick and it hurts when i cough.

i'm going to be skinny as ever by the time this is over. i hate feeling vulnerable.
  4. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    time to practice tapping with your good arm
  5. i was thinking music software. i could do some writing.
  6. whoa i can still play guitar kinda'
  7. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

yeah, sleeping was the worst for me when i had my broken collar bone.

sucks, man. it's gonna be a long month or so. :(
  8. Who cares about that?
    *edit* Just making sure everyone saw the sarcasm up here.

How were the Vicodens a disappointment? That stuff rocks, had some when I got my wisdom teeth out and when I strained my neck. It was awesome.
  9. percasets are vastly superior.
  10. Ooooh, I did not know that. Cool, Ill ask for those next time.
  11. westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Some quick advice (being a motorcyclist, I've seen a lot of broken collar bones, though aven't experienced one myself ... touch wood). Make sure that the doctors reconnect the ends of the bone, and that it heals together. These injuries can heal leaving you with two unattached bones. I think it would be a real problem for a bassist ... even with a Moody strap :p
  12. wish i had requested them. don't get me started. way better.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

All the best in your recovery. :)
  14. I broke mine in a motorcycle accident (cased it over a set of doubles). The healed X-rays are freaky, man. The edge of the bone healed up to the shaft of the other part of the bone. Not straight at all. There's enough bone mass at the site of the break to gaurantee it will NEVER break there again. I have no lingering symptoms at all, other than some throbbing when the weather is just right. Even when you feel the area through the skin there is a huge-ass lump there, which is the big boney mass. Weird, perhaps, but symptom-free (for the most part).

How would one reconnect the ends of the bone? Do you mean through surgery? That sounds extreme for a collarbone break.

With my break, the just gave me this big silly-ass sling to wear that kept my shoulders pulled back. I could actually feel the ends of the bone rubbing on one another. Kinda gross. Eventually, that rubbign stopped as the bone began to heal. Several weeks later I'm up my dad's house trying to clean his beer miser (since I drink the most outta it, he feels it's only fair I clean it!!!) Well, I had instructed him to reinstall the tap area up top while I cleaned some other parts. I go to put the remainder together (without double-checking his work) and when I attach the tap to the keg, I get BLASTED in the face with beer (the dummy never installed the tap itself). When I get blasted, I jump back QUICK and reach in to disconnect. Through all that, the little bit of healed area broke all over again. I wanted to string him up by his dirty-ass toes!!!!

Moral of story, be careful while that bad-oscar heals!!! :D
  15. FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    That sucks dude. Personally, I have never broken any bones, but from what I hear, the collar bone is the most painful break. May I suggest eye for an eye? Go and break that wooden support beam on that hammock. Show it who's boss.