Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Broke New Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Intrepid, Jun 26, 2002.

1. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    I broke an E on the first day I got it....I just went out and bought some DR Hi-Beams and broke the 100 guage string tuning it....I've never had to stretch strings out previously, so I decided to just tune it to E and baam, it snapped...I've almost always gotten strings to tune right away, but these were ****ing tight as hell. Think I'll be able to return them?

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Are you sure you tuned it to the right E? :oops:

Take them back to the shop and ask. You should not have to pay full price for a defect set of strings.

3. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Yep I'm sure...I got up to C# and then baam...so you think they were defective...it felt tight as all hell, but I do know that I was still below E....

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    If it felt "tight as all hell" at C#, then you probably picked the wrong octave anyway... or the wrong string.

5. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    100 guage...I just called the music store and there gonna give me an E...I got to head down there...I really don't think I put an octave too high because you would know if it was an octave higher by the sound...maybe I did screw up, but oh well, getting a new string...