Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Broke out the WM-12 ...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Sep 1, 2002.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've got a mini-rehearsal with some new band members tomorrow, so I thought I'd just take my little SWR Workingman's 12. I dug it out of the cabinet where it's been for over six months, and plugged it in. I recalled that it needs a little help at the input stage (I usually put a SABDDI in front of it), but I hooked up my Yamaha NE-1 instead. This is the first time these two pieces of gear have seen each other at my house.

My, my, what a pleasant surprise! I had forgotten what a great little amp this thing is. I played my 55-94 through it, and got some fabulous, growly J-bass sounds out of it. Very decent. Lately, I've been playing some smaller venues running through an Avalon U5 straight to the board. That's a great sound, but the only on-stage sound I get is through the monitors. I think next time I'm gonna take the little WM-12, plug into it through the NE-1, and run the DI out to the board. Then I'll have a decent stage sound to listen to.

Bottom line, for all you guys I've recommended the WM-12 to, I reiterate my recommendation. It's a great rig for rehearsals and small gigs, especially if you give it a little help.

2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I like mine a lot too. One of my electric gigs rehearses down in a guy's basement music room and things get loud enough that I have to use earplugs...but the WM12 hangs right in there. Helluva lot better than toting my Goliath Sr. and rack down those stairs.

Makes a really nice upright amp, too. Seems to be voiced just right.

3. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Did I get you right: One can play out with less than 300W?!?
    ;)
    Matthias

4. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    And without Eden?

5. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Matthias ~

When I go to the PA, it's through a crossover that only lets 100 hz and below go to the subs (let's see ... that's for me and the kick drum). Then I also get my share of everything above 100 hz. So I'm getting at least 500 watts of the PA with no stage amp. Probably more like 700.

ihixulu ~

Well, when I can't go Eden, I CAN go Avalon. I'm just gonna try the SWR next time.

Hey! You guys stop picking on me!

6. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Munji could you explain the Yamaha NE-1 deal to me. I saw one in Bass Player Magazine but I didn't understand how it worked with the parametric equalizer...

7. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Sure. The NE-1 is just a super mid-scooper. It can put a deep gash in your mid EQ, or just a bit of a dip if you use the "Shallow" setting. One knob controls the depth of the gash while the other controls the frequency of it.

What it all boils down to is that, if you like Nathan East's tone, this will help you approximate it. The graphic EQ curve looks like a "smiley face" with a hare lip. It's a tone suitable for jazz and pop, but probably not "rock," whatever that is. It's not a particularly versatile piece of gear. If you want versatile, go with the venerable SABDDI or the MXR version of that.

If you're not familiar with the smiley face tone, it's got enhanced bottom and highs with mid frequencies cut. The sound is modern and crisp, good for light slapping and popping. You're going to want to add some mid to "cut through the mix." Listen to the group "Fourplay" (their first album is best ... it has Lee Ritenour) to hear this tone.

8. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Just a joke, that's why I added the ;)
    Sorry, if it was a bad joke :rolleyes:
    Matthias