1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Broke String!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by southernrocker, Apr 15, 2009.

1. southernrocker

southernrocker Banned

Apr 4, 2009
    I broke a string tonight at church. My friend drums there and asked me to fill in for the regular bassist (It is not my regular church). Apparently there is a burr on my bridge, and while I was warming up for practice (I played Mystic Rythms by Rush), snap goes the A string. Good thing I had my P bass as a spare in the truck.

Once again, bad time for string breakage. Anyone else have bad timing for broke stuff? It's just Murphy's law I guess.

True Story: My bassist friend snapped his G string while fingering in A minor! :rollno:

2. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Many years ago at my band's big debut gig, the house lights went down, the stage lights went up, and I heard "One,...two,... one, two, three, STOP!" Our lead guitarist broke a string before he played the first note. To make it worse, it was a hardtail Strat, and the last time he had replaced that string, he had lost the ferrule that holds the rivet at the end of the string, so he had just strung it through the hole in the wood. Of course, under tension the rivet had buried itself in the wood, so getting the old rivet out took FOR-EVER! The crowd was getting restless, so the brother of the lead singer jumped up on stage and proceeded to give (for the first and only time in his life) the lamest stand up comedy routine that I have ever seen before or since. I'm sure the whole thing only took about 5 minutes, and the gig went well after that, but in my memory it seems like an hour that we were putzing around with that guitar!

3. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    Mostly amp problems, vintage and custom gear always seems to pop at the worst possible time IME. Of course, whenever something goes it ALWAYS feels like the worst possible time.