1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Broke the nut while re-stringing...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by GnarwhalNick, Jan 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. GnarwhalNick

GnarwhalNick

Jan 18, 2011
    Hello TB. I was restringing my 2016 Mexican Fender Jaguar and when I was trying to get the G string into it's nut slot, it broke at the D string. This sucks but now I gotta get a new one obviously. I want to make sure I get the right one, are these nuts the same as the standard Jazz bass nuts? If I'm not mistaken, don't Jaguars have Jazz necks? Here is a picture of the damage:

IMG_8681-1.

If anyone is curious, the strings I'm using are Ernie Ball Power Slinky (55-110)

2. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    That D string was just a bit too wide for the slot which is why it broke(probably). I got a great deal on a Bone nut recently. PM if you want link to where I got it.

It came Pre-slotted but probably needs a tiny bit of filing.
    full-lightbox-1-update-1515268320-.

3. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

You could save that nut if you wanted to, but this is a great opportunity to get a nice real bone nut on there. To save that nut, A couple tiny dots of titebond on the walls of the board slot, insert the broken piece and then wick CA down the crack and let it sit overnight. Widen the d slot (and all others as needed) and it should hold up fine.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  4. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    Never had that problem with a brass nut.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  5. byacey

byacey

May 16, 2008
    Alberta, Canada
    You beat me to it. I was scrolling down reading the replies, and you took the words right out of my mouth.