1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

broken amp that can not be fixed?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by a e i o u, Dec 11, 2006.

1. :mad: :mad: i finaly got word on the deal with my fender dual showman that i brought to get repaired because the output transformer fried out. they told me that the amp can't be fixed. they didnt say why or what exactly was wrong, the guy just was all mad and gave me it back and said it can't be fixed. i dont understand how an amp can't be fixed unless the part needed is no longer available. :mad: :mad: :mad:

2. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    It's possible that the part is hard to come by or it's possible that your repair guy just doesn't want to deal with it. If I had to guess, I'd guess the latter.

Seek a second opinion from a different shop. I'd recommend following up with the first guy to find out why, but it sounds like he's too pissed off to be bothered.

3. thrashermatt

thrashermatt

Jan 26, 2006
    western mass
    i don't see how thats unrepairable if just the output transformer is shot. I also don't know why the tech would be mad? go somehwere else and tell them the problem and see what they say

4. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    The tech was probably "mad" because the inside of the amp was coated with nasty, smelly transformer spooge. I turned down a refurb project recently on an old Super Reverb for just that reason. Being retired from the repair trade has its benefits I guess.:cool:

Output transformers for a Dual Showman are plentiful and easy to come by. Don't be surprised if there's lots of collateral damage too though. PM me if you or your tech want some vendor referrals.

5. John123z

John123z

Jul 7, 2006
    Hershey, PA
    The fact that he wouldn't explain himself tells me he spent a lot of time on it and then made a mistake and screwed up something expensive. Now he just wants you out of his shop. I would definitely take it somewhere for a second opinion. I don't believe there is any part on a Dual Showman that difficult to replace including transformers.

John

6. Espidog

Espidog

May 19, 2006
    UK
    Spooge.
    Now that's a word I'm just going to have to slip into conversation at the least likely moment. Spooge. Mmmmmmmmm.... :cool:

Seriously though, I'm sure it will be fixable, but it will cost you quite a bit. Transformers are the most expensive part of any tube amp. I'm guessing that the repairman just didn't want the hassle of sourcing and replacing it, knowing that the parts and labour costs would end up being so high. I can't see any reason why he should get in a bad mood with you, though. Sounds like a bit of an idiot.

7. John123z

John123z

Jul 7, 2006
    Hershey, PA
    Output transformers are readily available for the Fender Dual Showman for around $80. Should take less than an hour to install.
    http://76.162.4.197/MyStore/perlshop.cgi?ACTION=thispage&thispage=parts1.htm&ORDER_ID=160855223
    or here
    http://www.tubeampparts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=A&Category_Code=OT

Something is definitely fishy about your tech.

John

8. thrashermatt

thrashermatt

Jan 26, 2006
    western mass
    hey brett. bring the amp to downtown sounds in northampton. The tech did a very nice job fixing my old v4. plus hes a super nice guy. when he called to tell me its ready we ended up talking on the phone for about 45 minutes about different tubes and how awesome the v4 is.

9. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Something weird there.