Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Broken amp woes.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Laguna J., Sep 9, 2003.

1. Laguna J.

Laguna J.

Dec 10, 2002
    Liverpool, UK
    Hi,

I own a Peavey BAM 210 combo amp, and yet I currently have a problem with it that renders it completely useless.

Last time I was using it, I had to use a fairly old cable, and when I came to removing the cable from the input, the very end of it got stuck in the amp. (When I say the end, I mean the small almost triangular shaped bit at the tip.) Anyway, it's lodged in the input and is being held in by the mechanism that usually prevents the cable from falling out. Can anyone recommend any way to remove it? I've yet to find a pair of tweezers small enough to go into the input, so I thought I may just unscrew the input socket and remove it like that. Would this be damaging to the amp?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    mabye try getting something like a welding stick (long, metallic, fairly strong) and poking about with that, just dont poke too hard or you could screw up your input, saying that you might need to buy a new one anyway, im sure you can get the easy enough just make sure you can solder well if your doing it yourself or you could short the entire amp

3. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    I used to work for GK. I would run into this problem at dealers sometimes. The solution with those was to take out the preamp board (pain in butt) and turn it over and ease the broken tip out of the jack with a small screwdriver or something like that. If the jack that you have on the Peavey is all enclosed...Best of luck to you. I hope my advice helps. I am almost sure that there will be someone on TB that can really help. There are some pretty smart cookies lurking around here.:)

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Whatever you do, do NOT turn on that amp while that piece is still inside. If you dislodge it and it falls onto the circuitboard, it could arc where it shouldn't and cause permanent damage to other components.

I personally would open the amp up and see if I couldn't reach it myself before taking it to my local dealer. It is unlikely the input jack has enought loose wire to allow you to "pull it out" far enough - and I'd even bet its hard-connected to the circuit board.