Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

broken bass live

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by adamaarts, Jan 9, 2002.

1. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    after my band finished our set, we watched the last band play. they played a few songs, but on their second to last one a funny but sad thing happened. the bass player went to throw his bass around his neck (he does it every show) but his coordination was off. he accidently threw it off balance so the head hit the ground, then the strap screw on the bridge side just ripped out. his bass was messed up. i went and grabbed my bass and lent him to it and they finished the song. it was funny because it was out of no where, but it was sad because i would feel like crap if that happened to me.

2. THat's cool, helping out ya fell muso :)

Sorta same thing happened to me, these guys were sorta disorganised, and were running around at the last minute. I'd already told the bassman he could use my amp, anyways these guys HAVE to get on right at the minute at perform and he couldn't find his bass! How freaky ass, and i lent him mine.

Took him a bit to get used to the 5 string spacing, but it's cool :)

3. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I'm wondering what kind of bass this was. I'm just trying to form a mental picture here.
    :confused: :eek: :D

4. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i don't do stuff like that with my bass only becuz i only have 1

bp13

5. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    the bass he threw and broke was a black 4 string dean, i dont know the model name or anything.

6. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    r they gonna give a funeral???:D

bp13

7. It's one of those risks you take when playing anything in a live situation.

For a while I used to totally freakout if something got scratched, dented, etc, but these days I accept playing-damage as par for the course.

Of course i'd be totally p!$$ed if I busted my Ric in a similar way, but i'm always aware that any performance could leave things dead or dying! :D

I guess you could say don't hollywood it on stage unless you have the $$ to cover a mishap.

8. That reminds me of a local band show I saw at this really small bar...
    The bass player was acting really obnoxious and rock-star-ish the whole set--which is no big deal even though it came off weird, but anyway--at the end of their set the crowd starts chanting "Smash your bass! Smash your bass!", and the guy DOES IT. I couldn't believe it. I don't care if it only cost him $50 at a pawn shop, I would never purposely destroy a guitar for show even if I was rich and famous...it was so sad and pathetic...

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    ..i dont du dat weth mine coz they costs 3000 bucks ...

10. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    You're a better man (or woman) than me. I would have just laarrffed!