Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BROKEN BODY!!!!!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by dr_love2112, Jul 13, 2005.

1. dr_love2112

dr_love2112

May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
    i have a jazz bass and starting at the neck mount pocket there is a crack all the way thru my body to a little past the neck pickup. is this ok??? how can i fix it???

2. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    I'm assuming you've already confirmed that the crack is all the way through the wood and not just in the finish.

You can fix it by injecting Titebond wood glue into the crack with a syringe and then clamping the body down for 24 hours. I usually go to a local pharmacy and buy a few big needles / syringes (the big gauge ones used for oil based injections,... like steroids!), just tell the pharmacists that you need a big gauge one as you're going to use it to inject wood glue into a crack in wood.

The trick is to be patient and get enough glue down into the crack. When you clamp it up you should get some glue squeezing out of the crack.

3. Didn't you already do this thread elsewhere? The same answer was posted in the other one. If it wasn't you, my apologies.