1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Broken Crybaby

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Waldo Bass, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Waldo Bass

Waldo Bass

Jun 21, 2005
    England
    Hey Guys,

I bought a bass crybaby (original black version) from ebay a while ago and it was dead on arrival. Annoying, yes :mad:

Before I take it somewhere to get fixed though, I figured that I might as well ask some of you experts If you happen to know what's wrong with it!

Right:

- My signal goes though it into the amp fine when the pedal is off

- The pedal turns on when you press the switch, you can hear a slight volume drop which I've heard is normal. The signal still passes through the pedal into the amp fine.

- Now here's the problem. When I rock the pedal back and forth (as you do), nothing happens. So basically it all works fine except for the fact that it doesn't actually do any wah-ing!

If it's of any use, I noticed that when you disconnect the power with everything else connnected you can hear the filter sweeping as the power drains out.

So, advice anyone? :)

2. *smb

*smb

Nov 26, 2006
    Does the volume change as you rock the pedal back and forward?

3. Waldo Bass

Waldo Bass

Jun 21, 2005
    England
    Nope, there's no change to the sound whatsoever.

4. *smb

*smb

Nov 26, 2006
    There's a couple of possibilities in that case. Do you have a multimeter? It's possible one of the contacts on the switch is damaged, or one of the components around the inductor is dead. You need to test the resistances of the resistors and the capacitance of the caps and make sure they all work.

5. did you take the bottom off and make sure the wah-pot is secure?

thats what happened to me when my Crybaby 535 arrived.

6. Waldo Bass

Waldo Bass

Jun 21, 2005
    England
    Looking inside it, there's nothing visably wrong with it- No loose wires, dry joints or anything like that.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    With the bottom off, go through the rocking motion with your hands and watch the potentiometer on the inside. Is the shaft rotating? Is the body staying still? This is the most common area of problems that I find with Crybabies.

8. Waldo Bass

Waldo Bass

Jun 21, 2005
    England
    Have just checked and the shaft rotates as it should.

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Then you may be up against a fried component or dead pot. The latter being the easier repair. I would recommend contacting the seller to inform him of this. Did he sell the unit not-tested?

10. Waldo Bass

Waldo Bass

Jun 21, 2005
    England
    I contacted the seller and he just said 'oh it was working when I sent it, it must have been damaged in the post'. It was also advertised as working. Left it too late to file a paypal claim though.

11. check both ends of the connections to the main pot with an ohmeter.

it's most likely the connections to the main pot, or the pot itsself...either way, an inexpensive fix.

12. Likely story. Why is the world so chock full of butt-nuggets like this guy?

Doesn't stop you from leaving crap feedback, or complaining to eBay... or deriding him publicly here so we can all avoid him!

13. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Here here!