1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Broken Demeter VTDB-2B?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DirtPoorRobins, Feb 18, 2008.

1. DirtPoorRobins

DirtPoorRobins Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2005
    VA
    Hi I need some help from the tech guys of talkbass. I just got a used demeter tube di, and it doesn't seem to do anything. I plugged it in and I didn't notice a difference, it sounds softer than without a di, and it nosier too because of having to turn the volume up. The boost switch does nothing, the only that I could tell worked was the ground/lift switch. Also, the tube doesn't glow, but is supposed to, its a 12ax7. Any help would be great. Thanks

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    12AX7's do not necessarily glow visibly in operation, it depends on the rest of the circuit design. How do you have the DI connected? It doesn't sound like you are using it as a DI.

3. hunta

hunta

Dec 2, 2004
    Washington, DC
    I would just send it to me, since it's broken :)

4. DirtPoorRobins

Apr 18, 2005
    VA
    I am using it as a DI. Straight into Lexicon interface into cubase sx3. I talked to demeter and they said it may be the tube since the boost does nothing at all and the tube isn't warm at all either. I'm going to try and get a new 12ax7 and see if that does the trick, they said if it isn't warm than its not working, so hopefully that's all it is. I'll keep you posted.

5. DirtPoorRobins

Apr 18, 2005
    VA
    So I replaced the tube and it didn't fix the problem, any suggestions as to what might be the problem?

6. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    The voices in my head are telling me there might be a faulty solder joint between the tube and the power source.

7. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    Dude, you've already gotten some good advice from the folks at Demeter once, don't think you've used up your good will credits just yet! Call up Jim or Stacey @ Demeter and get a Return Authorization, let them do what they do best.

They'll happily hook you up with the best service possible. That's what they do.

Unless the DI is stolen...

8. DirtPoorRobins

Apr 18, 2005
    VA
    It's an ebay buy and the guy said he's an effects company and can fix it, said it might just be a cold solder joint. Should I just let him have a shot at fixing it instead of paying to have it fixed myself?

9. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    If he's got great feedback, then yes.

10. Personally, I'd want to send it to the creator of the unit itself. They know their product.