Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Broken DI

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Ahhhh crap. I have a gig tomorrow, and the DI on my Ashdown MAG 250 has crapped out on me. I was testing it through my band's PA, and it buzzes and distorts, and makes the speakers pop(without me playing naything). I've tried two different cables(both work FINE with my Sansamp BDDI's DI). So I'm at a loss. Do I go straight from the Sansamp, and expect everyone else to do that too, or do I use the line out on my amp?(this actually sounds fine going through the PA). Or we can stick a condenser infront of it. Any ideas are much appreciated....

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I would use the DI on the Sansamp, and expect everybody else to do the same. You might have the line out hooked up in case somebody objects to using the Sansamp.

3. Ok I will suggest it. I had another idea, could I send a lineout into another DI box(they have lots at the gig)? Would this mean the line out signal is balanced and is basically turned into a DI signal?

4. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    Yup. BTW, I pretty much always mic & DI live and in studio. I don't bring the good condensers out live, though. Audix D4 gets the call there.

I think the cleanest way to do it is, rather than take a line out of the amp, run the DI before the amp.