Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Broken ear

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Monte, May 26, 2003.

1. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    I'm using a bass that belongs to my alma mater, and a student knocked off one of the ears af the scroll while going through a door. It is a clean break, and I have the broken piece. I know the school has no money, so can this just be glued back on. It looks terrible, and I really don't want to play it this way in public, and I have the jazz fest in Topeka coming up:meh:

What kind of glue? Any tips? Anything someone with no woodworking skills should know?

Monte

2. I'm going to assume that the bass is a Kay or Englehardt since this is a common problem for these brands. If so, it's a pretty easy fix if you have a clamp that will span the ears. For something like this, Titebond will work fine. Just be sure to wipe up the excess glue with a damp towel before it sets up.

BTW the Topeka Jazz Festival ends today!;)

3. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    No, it is a sweet sounding no name Bohemian from the turn of the century. My school really should sell it and get a modern instrument before it gets reduced to toothpicks......it is already more cracks than anything, but it sounds like a million bucks.

As for Topeka, it is actually the Coleman Hawkins Neighborhood Festival in Topeka. I forgot about the other (and BIGGER) one this weekend. We (Champian and the Jazz Band) are playing right before Jane Getz (pianist who was with Mingus) on June 7th.

Thanks for the help. Does it still hold true for non-plywood instrument?

4. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    By the way, you can look at the schedule for Hawkfest by looking here .

Monte

5. As long as you can securely clamp the ear, it still goes.

6. Joe Kyle Jr.

Joe Kyle Jr. Supporting Member

May 13, 2003
    After both the ears on my '39 Kay had been broken off I replaced 'em with a couple of tips from steer horns. Great for fighting your way to the bandstand in crowded yuppie bars or for busking on the mad streets of Pamplona.
    A photo of the scroll w/horns can be found on the "Instruments" page on the web site of a good band I used to play with: http://www.hcsf.com.

7. kip

kip

Sep 11, 2002
    Sausalito, Ca
    Yee-haw, them's mini long horns. Nice sounding band too!