Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

broken headstock

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Phat Ham, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    My guitar playing buddy broke the headstock on his Gibson Les Paul at a show last night. From what I hear this isn't that uncommon on Les Pauls. Does anyone know a good place to get it fixed, and about how much he should expect to pay? My buddy says he's willing to ship it if it means the job will get done right.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    How exaclty is it broken, like split in half, or what?

3. It is a common fault with LPs, they are very susceptible to knocks. I have seen many like that (I'm in the industry), and they can be repaired quite satisfactorily, but BEWARE!!!! Do not try and do it yourself, and do not get the guitar tech at your local store to do it. Take it to a real luthier, and make sure it is one who has done this repair before. The reason for this is because the break is always a splinter break, very seldom a clean break. You only get one shot at lining up the splintered wood, and that's when it's got the glue on it. If you try to test-fit the join without glue in order to see what the join will look like, you will disturb the angle of tthe individual splinters, and make it near impossible to get a good tight, near invisible join. Hopefully, the owner has not tried this already.

4. how in the hell did it break like that?

5. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    He was jumping around and hit the back of his headstock on the bass player's amp (yay for vintage SVT's). The headstock is still attached, but bareley. It looks like it's a straight headstock, except it's supposed to be angled. My buddy took it to a local luthier who said he'd fix it. The guy is pretty trustworthy and has years of experience, but we'll have to wait a week or so to see how it turns out.

6. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Post a pic if you can, some people like carnage.

7. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN

8. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    I have a friend who had his Les Paul knocked of it's stand while he was out of the room. :bawl: It was a splintered break also.
    The headstock came completely off. He had it repaired 20 years ago and still plays it.

9. Yay the the SVT;)

Sorrow for the LP:(

10. Yaw.

11. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    sorry guys no pics. It was put in clamps before any pics could be taken. Of course my buddy, feeling sorry for himself, went out and bought an explorer yesterday.

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Bastard. Lol.