1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Broken Ibanez AF9 Auto Filter worth sending to a shop?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JimmyM, Sep 21, 2008.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I was going through my effects, or what's left of them after I sold most of them off, and I found an old Ibanez Auto Filter that looks suspiciously like this pretty expensive Maxon I found just now:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navi...ls?N=100001+202022&Ntk=All&Ntt=envelope&Nty=1

Tried to fire it up, and it appears to have a short or two in it. I know zip about pedals, so I'd have to send it to a shop to get fixed. I really don't remember much about it, either. Is it a good one? Is it worth paying to have it fixed?

2. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    It sounds great! But the bypass is abolute horror!

3. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It's excellent sounding and definitely worth getting it fixed, within reason. Depending on the nature of the repair you can probably flip it for more than it cost to fix.

4. Ely

Ely

Jun 8, 2001
    Huntsville, AL
    My Maxon AF9 has a short in it that makes the filter sweep, but with no resonance whatsoever. I was thinking about just giving it away to somebody who might be able to fix it.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I'll probably start using it again if it's that good.

Thanks guys...I'll be calling the shop in the morning.

6. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    JimmyM...do it. The predecessor to the Maxon AF-9 and very true to the original Mutron III. Send it to the shop!!!

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I have the Maxon version... it's a keeper on my board

8. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    you can always buy a used version from here on the classifieds for nearly half the price. i recently bought mine here brand new for $135 and i love it!

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Well, the local guy who does amp repairs told me he'd have a hard time finding parts if needed and refused to work on it. He recommended www.analogman.com . Anyone familiar with him?

10. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I'm looking to buy a pedal from them. The website says he will do some repairs of certain pedals.

Have you opened up the pedal to see if it's just a loose connection?

11. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    hey jimmym, post some photos of the guts and i'll do the same. we can compare if you're missing any diode's or loose connections, etc.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Wish I could, whoathere, but I'm still trying to get stuff ready for my flight this morning. And then I'll be moving most of next week. So it'll be a while.