Broken-In-Tone Fresh Flatwound ~ Labella LTF-4A

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Yahboy, May 4, 2017.

1. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Suprice me this Fresh LTF-4A flatwound sound absolutely nice broke-in like my previous more than a years old 760FL. The E wont thudd like GHS flat M3050, the D and G brightness nice tame in just few hours playing.
    I dint found it tension is far lower compare to 760FL, maybe just little less than 760FX.
    The .070 gauge A string make lot guys worry about it flabbiness , but if you like me, been play with 760FL or 40-100 round wound string, i believe you wont have playing troble with it, it till got right amount of stiffness.
    The string action i still can go as low 2.2mm on E and 1.8mm on G string at 17th fret ( .012' neck relief) with ZERO string buzz . I believe still can go lower if you play more light touch.

To you guys who love DTF sound with 760FL/760FX BUT dont want spend lot time to wait she break-in, I highly recommand this LTF-4A .
    Try it, you will happy with it tension and stiffness.

I get my set from here, nice price and great customer service. Ask Mr Matt if you have any request.
    La Bella Bass Strings | Flatwound

IMG_20170503_113216_HDR.jpg

Update 6/5/2017

This LTF-4A have similiar stiffness as Sadowsky Black label Flat 40-100 under my finger, still could feel the LTF-4A with a tap of soft resilience.
    Great job , Labella !

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  2. I would highly recommend this site to those who live outside the US if they would like to save money on shipping; their international shipping rates are ridiculously low. If you don't see what you're looking for listed on their site, send them a message, and Matt will respond and let you know if it can be special ordered.

Yahboy likes this.
  3. Thanks to you, I'm starting to get some GAS pains for a nice cheap P bass just so I can slap these on and use it as my "specialty bass". ;)

4. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Cheap P bass , but you should need the good made one ~~ Squier Classic Vibe 70's Pbass :thumbsup:

5. Squier doesn't even offer Classic Vibe P's any more; just the Vintage Modified PJ's.

I might look for a used MIM P instead.

6. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Imposible !!!

Squier Classic Vibe P Bass '70s, - Black

7. Yahboy likes this.
  8. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Thanks for the write-up/review. I now have these on my Strings-To-Try list.

e-flat and Yahboy like this.
  9. e-flat

e-flat

Jun 15, 2009
    Washington State
    I've got a set of La Bella LTF coming in tomorrow. I was curious to try a set of the "old" style with .70 A string, so I ordered one of the last sets from bassstringsonline. I'll be comparing them to the TIs that are on there right now.

Yahboy likes this.
  10. Mark Ambler

Mark Ambler

Nov 18, 2017
    London, UK.
    I know this is an old thread, but I'd very much like to know how the LTF compare to the TI Jazz flats, if possible. TIA

11. e-flat

e-flat

Jun 15, 2009
    Washington State
    Mark
    - The La Bella LTF have the characteristic "La Bella Sound": thunky lows on the E string, moderate mids with a nice clarity & slightly diminished treble (once broken in). They are SMOOTH strings... some of the smoothest I've tried. I found the tension / rigidity to be very moderate, comparable to light GHS P Flats (40-95). Not as supple to the fretting hand as the TI Flats. Definitely lean toward the "Old School" sound & response that La Bella is known for, but with a more manageable tension and nice mid clarity without being overbearing. These were terrific on both Jazz and P Bass.

- TI Flats are modern sounding: great definition on all strings, including the E. The center Mid frequencies sit forward and are really the defining sound of these strings. I've heard many complain about TIs feeling like "noodles" or "rolling" under the fingers... I can't really relate. I've had 2 different sets of TI Flats which I've swapped onto several basses. Maybe its the way I set my instruments up, or that I spent years playing on DR Sunbeam 45-100 nickel rounds, but I've always found the TIs to be a total luxury to play. They are not polished nearly as smooth as the La Bella LTF, but have a beautiful finish....sort of "powedry" for lack of a better term. I have them on one of my P Basses currently and run that bass with a .15uf tone cap -> I like the way it cuts deeper into the mids and gives me the option to go "full dub reggae" at a 0 setting on my tone knob :D

Hope this helps!

Yahboy and Mark Ambler like this.
  12. Mark Ambler

Mark Ambler

Nov 18, 2017
    London, UK.
    Thanks. I've ordered the LTF, I hope they're a little more stiff than the TI Jazz Flats, but not quite as heavy as the 760FL. I actually prefer the clarity of the TI JF, but they're just a little to loose when I start to 'dig in'. I have the tone control almost off, anyway, so they both don't sound that dissimilar, atleast to me.

13. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    I have Ti flat on my both Pbass and Ray4, but the set on Ray4 feel stiffer on my plucking hand.
    I believe the Large magnet pole piece matter.......

No worry with LTF4A, she is stiffer than Ti and less stiff than GHS3025 fresh from pack.
    Overall sound already 80% well broken in instead the G still present some zing.
    After 2 weeks , all string sound get balance.
    The following month to month, you will notice whole set become stiffer than what you feel on first day.

Mark Ambler and e-flat like this.
  14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021