Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

broken Jack!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Samie, Apr 17, 2002.

1. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    The jack from my cable broke inside the amp!! What can I do know? half of the jack is inside te active socket hole. Anybody had a similar problem?

2. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    so uhhh, how did this happen. were you parachuting with your amp and its chute didnt open?

well i guess the next thing is to get it out of there, dont ask me how cause im still rolling on the floor laughing. my best guess is you would have to go in through the back of the amp. someone who knows about amps or something can help here.

mention what amp you have to please, might help someone else. i did my best.
    later
    Lukas

3. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    just a worn out jack I guess!! someone did knock the cable while I was playing, but not hard enough to break the jack!!

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Unplug your amp, open it and try to remove the jack CAREFULLY.

You might need a new input socket. Those are standard ones mostly, you can get one at Radio Shack for example.

You can probably replace it yourself, if you now how to solder, and the socket is not directly connected to the circuit board.

To be safe, let a service tech replace it.

5. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    That's not what a jack is you know... :D

Try unscrewing the jack (receptacle) and removing the broken phone plug (male part) from it.

6. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    .. that is the problem I really dont seem to be able to unscrew the thing!!! .. maybe there is an only diagram of the female plug. Somthing is retaining the broken part that is inside. It is just a regular trace elliot 50-100watt amp. It is not even mine!! I don't mind paying the repair cost but I wish I could just remove it by my self. The other guy is not here, and I dont want to take it in for repairs before I speak with him. :(

7. Can you post a picture?

This should be an easy fix. Just take the thing apart, and push the broken plug shaft back out using a screwdriver or something. If it's a cheap jack, it may have gotten screwed up in the process, then you'll have to solder in a new one. At this point, I hope you know what you are doing with electronics.

Chris

8. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    again,

jack = female
    plug = male.

;)

9. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    OK. Now in a language that every body can explain

female in amp
    -------+

-^--^-+

male before
    O:CCCC[[[[[[[[==============

This is what happen
    --------+
    O:
    -^--^--+

male after

CCCC[[[[[[[[============

I hope this helps!

There is some type of clip that prevents the piece from just falling out. I guess that clip is there to insure better contact. It is there on all female JACKS. I wonder if there is a way to defeat it.!!
    :confused:

10. So you broke the TIP off your plug, not the entire SLEEVE. Just for info, the standard notation on a stereo 1/4 plug is:

TIP
    RING
    SLEEVE

A standard guitar plug only has TIP and SLEEVE.

According to how I read your picture, the TIP broke off down in the jack and is held in place by the spring-loaded contacts. I think you'll need to get access to the internal part of the jack to mess with it. If you can't get it out, you'll have to replace it. It must be one of those plastic totally enclosed jacks, because the standard old Switchcraft open style would just let the broken piece fall out inside the amp.

Chris