Broken jaw, feel lucky

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by lermgalieu, Oct 13, 2003.

1. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I broke my jaw in a bicycling accident last wed, and my jaw is now wired shut for 4-6 weeks. Weird that although I care, I am so glad I only have relatively minor cuts and bruises to my arms. I will be playing double bass again this week (actually I snuck some in yesterday while the wife was out).

Any of you fellers ever break yo mandible?
  2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Yow! No, thankfully, I've never busted that particular body part. Stay well; glad it wasn't more serious!
  3. tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    I didn't know bicycling was a contact sport. The only bones I've ever broken are finger bones. Well wishes...
  4. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    There's been a real rush of bike accidents on TB lately. Interestingly, none of the bike crashes were motorcyclists.

So everyone sell your mountain bikes are whatever pedal powered death trap you're riding, and buy a motorcycle. Much safer! ;)

Hope you get well soon lermgalieu.
  5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

I'll second that. Hey, look at the bright side, you can still talk all you want on TB.

I have a few friends - musicians both - who have had bike accidents within the last couple of years in which they sustained serious hand injuries. Though both are back playing again, they'll be feeling the effects of the injuries when the weather turns for the rest of their lives. I think I'd be feeling lucky with a broken jaw as well, although I bet liquid food sucks. Get well soon.
  6. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    ... isn't liquid food SUPPOSED to suck?

Get well soon, Lermie. It's good you can still cross your fingers....
  7. olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    I'm glad you take it with philosophy, Lawrence. Wasn't FZ always saying how %£*§ing great it is to be alive!
  8. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    My left hand is definitely injured, but not broken, which is the key. It's got some really deep cuts. I am going to play some electric bass tonite. Yesterday when I picked up my DB it still felt a little early to do so, not so much of pain, but because my hand is tenative, clutched, and completely out of tune (more so than usual!).

The thing about the jaw is that I am a project manager for website development as my day job, and I won't be able to do lots of aspects of that job with my jaw wired shut. Plus everyone at my company is hourly, which makes them like vultures about picking up my hours from me. We'll see how that pans out....worst case I will have a lot of time over the next month to practice, but not much money!

Thanks everyone for the sympathy..
  9. My sympathies lerm, been there and it's no fun. It was 36 years ago for me, as a 14 year old kid, same bicycle faceplant. (I've done some serious mountain biking in the last eight years and fortunately only sustained the usual bruises, abrasions and soft tissue damage.)

I broke my jaw near the "hinge" on the right, it healed slightly out of alignment. I had problems with alignment and clunking at the joint for years afterwards, had teeth ground to improve their mesh, etc. To this day I struggle with corn on the cob because my front teeth don't meet well enough to bite it off cleanly.

I don't mean to scare you with this, just do everything you can to keep the jaw immobilized. One suggestion would be to make sure you sleep on your back or sitting up slightly, anything but lying on your side. I think your chances of having it heal in proper alignment are better if you don't lie with the side of your face/ jaw on the pillow all night. I think this might have been part of my problem.

Good luck, hope you heal quickly. And get back on the bike soon.
  10. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Eric - thanks for the post. That's the same place I broke mine, and I have sworn off sleeping on my side, much to the chagrin of my wife, since I snore like crazy on my back!
  11. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Look on the bright side; for a while, at least, your wife can't say, "we never talk anymore"...
  12. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Arnold, at the beginning of this ordeal, I would have agreed with you. But now that I am almost done (its been 4 weeks!) and getting these wires off, I realize what a strain this can put on a relationship. For four weeks, I've been grumpy, hungry, uninterested in socializing with other humans, and almost unintelligible. The only respite is practicing and playing, which my wife does not participate in. It turned out to be depressing for both of us, as we couldn't go out to eat (or actually anjoy our meals at home) and couldn't do too much in general (I've had really low energy and have lost 15 lbs despite really fat and protein intensive liquid foods).

In short, be careful when you ride your bike ;-) I wouldn't wish this on anyone. I am going to eat so much really soft food on Monday when I get these off!!
  13. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Hang in there mate. It's easy to lose sight of the fact that this is only temporary. Things will be back to normal eventually!
  14. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Man, you're going to have the worst case of morning breath! :D :eek:

Hope you're recovering nicely!
  15. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Petebass, I lost sight of the fact that it is temporary weeks ago! Where were you then? You'd think it would be easy knowing I get them off tomorrow, but it almost makes it harder. Already been in one fight with the wife today. Damn, I owe her something good for putting up with me through this...
  16. Go easy at first. If your experience is anything like mine was, your teeth and gums will be very tender after having the wires removed. Also, you haven't used your jaw muscles in four weeks. They will tend to atrophy with disuse like any other muscle. You might find chewing again makes the muscles sore quickly. Persevere, you'll be back to normal soon.

(Won't it be nice to be able to brush your teeth again?!!)
  17. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA

How right you are on all counts. After they released me, I brushed my teeeth for about 10 minutes! I've still got the braces on, those come off in about 2 weeks. I ate a huge wad of pasta last night, and just gently masticating that with my teeth made my jaw quite sore. But I think I am doing pretty good - definitely gonna stick to the soft foods again.

Being able to talk and work out again are doing wonders for my mental health!