1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Broken jaw, food tips? General tips?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by basstotheface, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Broke my jaw long boarding yesterday (Happy Birthday!), piece of uneven pavement came up and I fell chin first. Came up with a really deep gash that needed stitches, a chipped tooth and a broken jaw.

Anyways, i'm having a really hard time swallowing, eating, and just living really. I think the chipped tooth is making it even worse as well.

Anyone been through this? Anyone know how long before I can eat anything, even pudding is impossible right now.

I'm starving right now, haven't eaten since Wednesday.

2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    When I was 10 and learning how to rollerblade I hit a bad crack and faceplanted on the pavement. I didnt break my jaw, but my front tooth went through my lip and chipped on the ground. My lip was split open and Ive got a scar on my lip Ive had to explain to everyone since.

That was 17 years ago, though, so I dont remember how I handled eating aside from everything stinging my lip.

3. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    I have heard those Boost nutritional drinks help with hunger and get you by. At least you would be getting vitamins and calories, through a straw. Chocolate is about the only tolerable flavor, strawberry and vanilla just don't taste good.

4. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    My wife really dug my special cheddar-bacon-garlic smashed potatoes after she got her wisdom teeth removed.

The injury sounds fairly horrible. Get well.

5. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ

That sounds more painful than a bass to the face. :atoz:

Sorry man, hope you heal quickly!

6. hgregs

hgregs

Sep 25, 2008
    ct/ny border
    use a blender and a straw... for whatever you want. i've heard of people eating pizza that way. funny, but true.

get well soon.

7. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Man, that sounds bad.

Perhaps a full-face crash helmet would be a good idea if/when you return to that sport.

Meanwhile, other than milk shakes (which are filling but horrifically calorie-laden), I got nothin'. Googling for ideas should help.

8. Skitch it!

Skitch it!

Sep 6, 2010
    +1 This, blend what you like.

9. Yep. And drink Ensure. That'll help you pack in a bunch of good calories, vitamins, etc...

10. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Its one of those things that you'll have to figure out whats pallatable and provides what you need. Straws help the less palatable stuff go down better.

11. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    One of those Naked Juice's will give you a full days servings of fruits and/or vegetables.

12. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Don't forget beer! A nice oatmeal stout is a heck of a good hydraulic sandwich!

13. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Also interacts well with those percocets you are probably on lol.

14. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    Protein shakes blended with 10mg of percocet should do the trick

15. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    Beat me to it! No advice for your immediate diet but pretty soon you'll be able to eat ground meat which is a surprisingly good meal. I was stuck with ground beef for a few days once after orthodontic work and it was alright.

16. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space CA
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    What does your doctor advise?

17. How long til you got there? Ground beef sounds incredible right now.

He told me to take it at my own pace. Whatever I can do, is what I should do.

18. I got hydrocodone this time. Reminds me of home (Houston).

19. wow, I just got my wisdom teeth removed on monday and I must say - that sounds amazing!

again, sounds amazing. Now I just need to find oatmeal stout...

20. Heck, they sound pretty tasty to me, right now!