1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Broken neck

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Cuphandle, Apr 19, 2009.

1. this is the neck off my J&D luthiers 5 string, i don't particularly want to replace the bass because i like the Seymour Duncan Pups.

What do you think? is it repairable or new neck?

Attached Files:

2. southernrocker

southernrocker Banned

Apr 4, 2009
    I dunno, man. I feel pretty bad for you, hang in there. I don't think it could be repaired because I can see the string tension doing a number on that split. Is it a bolt-on or a neck-through? I hope it is a bolt on, and in that case, I'd get a new neck. If it is a neck-through, it might just be FUBAR. I'd try to repair it either way just to at least attempt a cheap fix, and who knows, maybe it'll work. If all else fails, strip it of those precious seymours and make the bass into a nice wall ornament or clock.

Good Luck!

3. haha xD umm, its bolt on.. i got a quote for $90 for the neck being reglued... so i'll probably get that done and if all else does fail i do need a new clock pretty badly....

~Anthony

4. If I may ask, how does one accomplish such a nasty split or was it bought that way ???

5. well you see, it was leaning against my wall because I'm trying to learn a song and I'm picking it up every five minutes and don't have a stand. as i left for school this morning (start of term) i threw my bag on the floor which must of shook the floor enough for the bass to slip and land on the headstock.... i took off my strings immediately to stop pressure being applied to it...

~Anthony

6. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    This is not a difficult repair for an experienced luthier. A person with good woodworking skills should be able to accomplish the task. Here is an overview.

First the neck is clamped off above and below the crack to insure that the fingerboard remains glued to the neck during the next step. The crack is clamped open. White or yellow woodworking glue is injected into the crack. The crack is clamped tightly and the glue squeeze out is cleaned up with a damp rag. The glue cures overnight. The clamps are removed the next day. If necessary, lacquer touch up can be done.

It is important to make sure that no dirt, grime, oil, or any other foreign substances get into the crack right now. Do not poke or pry around in the crack because you may inadvertently cause more damage by shifting wood fibers out of place. That will make the repair much more difficult if you decide to do it and more expensive if you elect to take it to a pro.

N.B. Sometimes the frets will require a spot dressing. This will add to the cost. That doesn't mean the tech messed up. It's just the nature of the beast.

This is a task for the seriously handy. Unfortunately, most people think they are good at these kinds of things. When you hear the words glue, repair, or craftsman you think stick, duct tape, or Sears, take your guitar to a pro.

7. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

A hard way to learn that basses and guitars should be in a case or on a stand - NEVER leaning against anything and otherwise unsupported.

The good news is that the break will be easy for an experienced luthier to fix.

8. Boy that sucks, but yeah a stand is a must.

9. hmmm.. yeah I've put it in its case and am taking it to a Luthier to fix tomorrow (fortunately don't have a gig until 22nd of may), Will post on how it goes.. thanks for all your help and advice :)

~Anthony

10. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    you could have bought a really nice stand for that $90. I put all of my string instruments (two basses, three guitars, and a cello) on string swings on my wall. They look nice, are out of the way, and easy to grab whenever I want to play them.

Also, how much is a new neck? I know the glue would probably hold if done correctly, but $90 for a neck that's been cracked against a new neck all together . . .

11. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    A properly glued neck will be stronger than it was before the break. The neck will be just fine.

The OP made a mistake. He came to this forum to ask for help to fix the problem. He did not ask for advice as to how the break could have been prevented. He admitted that a stand is optimal for quick access storage. Learning begins with repentance. He has achieved that.

Repetitive harangue is unnecessary.