Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Broken Neck

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Sound Guy Paul, Feb 3, 2003.

1. Alright I recently bought a bass back in August, that was brand new, never been used. After about two months, the neck developed a fine crack of separation between the neck, and the fingerboard, where the glue separated. I took it in, they fixed it, but a week later it was back, and this time I could literally see straight through the neck. At this point I began to think maybe it was me. Maybe I was doing something wrong. I had it taken in, and they fixed it, and said that if it happened again, they might need to check into it some more, but that they had noticed the bass was pretty beat up. Well the week after it was repaired I took it into school. I went on vacation that week, and left it at school. When I returned the hairline of a crack was back. I hadnt touched the bass, hadnt done anything and it was back. What could be wrong with my neck, and is there anyway I can get the store to fix it a third time, and not think that I did it? The guys do run a very honest store, but even i would be doubtful of myself.

2. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    It's not you, it's probably just a bad joint between the board and the neck. You need to see a real luthier. How close is Dayton to Cinci? There's a good bass guy there name of Nick Lloyd[ a member here] Here's his e-mail-
    nlloyd5@yahoo.com