Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Broken Nut on my Essex BG 205 - what should I do?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Marley's Ghost, Apr 7, 2003.

1. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Somehow two chips broke off of the plastic nut when I moved the strings to adjust the truss rod. Which do you think is the best option?

1) Order and replace the nut myself - I do not have much setup experience. Also, where do I order a nut?

2) Bring it to a local tech to have it done.

3) Bring/send it back to Rondo (120 miles away) Just bought it two weeks ago.

4) Leave it alone - the slots are still there, just not as deep on one side.

I will be putting DR Fat beams on sometime this week.

I will take a pic later and post it on this thread.

2. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I say contact Rondo about it, then if they won't fix it, take it to a tech. Nut work can be very tricky, espically if you do not have experience with it.

3. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    if the bass is busted after 2 weeks you mite have a lemon,i would bring it back and either have it fixed or get a new one,i would opt for the new one cause if it broke after 2 weeks whats next?and nuts are easy to get on e-bay,they have nice ivory,graphite and brass ones all the time the choice is yours

4. He probably doesn't have a lemon at all. I've got an Essex P, had a J, and have had a total of 4 necks and I can definitely attest to the weak point that is the nut. They are usually a bit poorly shaped and this leads to them getting broken from snagging the corners of the nut. Replacment is easy - setup is harder. You could replace the nut and then take it to the tech for the final work. A little cheaper.

5. Or if it has a warranty... milk it for all its worth. Take it to a tech, it costs money, buy a new nut... costs money... take it back for warranty... NOTHING

Ok ok so i am a cheap bum so what! :p

:D:D

Merls

6. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I bought it from Rondo Music. I would either have to drive 240 miles round trip to bring it there or ship it back to get another plastic nut?. I am going to have some other mods done, so the tech is going to put a Graftech nut on at the same time.

7. get them to come to you. lol

"if you book them.. they will come" :p

:D:D

Merls

8. Siggy

Siggy Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    I broke the nut on my backup Bass last year. It was still under warantee but the store said they would have keep it for a couple of weeks. I only use it as a backup but I wasn't comfortable with giging with only one bass so I call a local lutier.

He made a custom bone nut for it and I got it back the next day and it costs me $25US.

I had a good experiance.

(O;O)

9. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Just dropped it off at a local Luthier. He is going to shield the cavity and install a Graftek nut. Should be done in about a week.

10. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Got it back from setup. MUCH quieter!. Graftech nut looks good. Sounds great with the Fatbeams! Some fretbuzz tho, trying to decide whether to fix myself or bring it back.