Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Broken Nut

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Totengraber, Sep 16, 2002.

1. I did my first string change on my P.O.S. Rogue 5-string and the B string guage was (apparently) too large for the groove in the nut, so the nut gave way and snapped off on the side. No, I didn't try to force it, I was checking the guage when it snapped. Should I bother trying to get this fixed on such a "junker" bass? Is there maybe a way I could repair this myself?

Thanks,
    Todd

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Nah, the bass isn't a junker just because of the nut. Back in the early 80's, my 1st gig with my brand new Music Man Cutlass (stingray w/graphite neck), the nut broke so that the E string flopped off the neck... thank goddess for having a backup! I had the nut replaced by a qualified professional, and would suggest you do the same.

BTW, even though I no longer play 4-string, I still own that '83 Cutlass bass because it is such a cool bass.

3. but then again, it is a rouge...

4. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Plastic nut?

Super-glue it!

I did that years ago on my first bass and it's lasted since then.

5. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Make sure you use just a dab of glue where you need it. If you overdo it, you could be asking for trouble down the road.

6. I wasn't saying it was a junker because of the nut, I was saying it was a junker because it's a Rogue ;) .

Thanks for all of the advice, though. I'm giving the SuperGlue idea a shot.

7. Or, get a new nut. How much do new nuts cost in USA? Here, they cost $2, fitted.