1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Broken Nut

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Totengraber, Sep 16, 2002.

1. I did my first string change on my P.O.S. Rogue 5-string and the B string guage was (apparently) too large for the groove in the nut, so the nut gave way and snapped off on the side. No, I didn't try to force it, I was checking the guage when it snapped. Should I bother trying to get this fixed on such a "junker" bass? Is there maybe a way I could repair this myself?

Thanks,
    Todd

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Nah, the bass isn't a junker just because of the nut. Back in the early 80's, my 1st gig with my brand new Music Man Cutlass (stingray w/graphite neck), the nut broke so that the E string flopped off the neck... thank goddess for having a backup! I had the nut replaced by a qualified professional, and would suggest you do the same.

BTW, even though I no longer play 4-string, I still own that '83 Cutlass bass because it is such a cool bass.

3. but then again, it is a rouge...

4. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Plastic nut?

Super-glue it!

I did that years ago on my first bass and it's lasted since then.

5. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Make sure you use just a dab of glue where you need it. If you overdo it, you could be asking for trouble down the road.

6. I wasn't saying it was a junker because of the nut, I was saying it was a junker because it's a Rogue ;) .

Thanks for all of the advice, though. I'm giving the SuperGlue idea a shot.

7. Or, get a new nut. How much do new nuts cost in USA? Here, they cost $2, fitted.