1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

broken output jack on semi-hollow body

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mashed potatoes, Jan 21, 2005.

1. mashed potatoes

mashed potatoes

Nov 11, 2003
    today, i arrive home from school and my mother tells me that the output jack on one of my basses is broken, and she's afraid to move it. she directs me to a semi-hollow body that i don't use often, and tells me to look at it. i lift it up and see that the output jack has been pushed inward with the patch cable still attached to it. i noticed that all of the wood around it is extremely thin, and that it's no wonder that it broke. there's quite a decent amount of large-sized splinters still stuck inside the body, and the output jack is still inside as well. can this be repaired at a standard guitar store? and how much is this going to set me back? it's really such a shame to see this happen to a bass with such a pretty finish on it :crying:

2. It's bad and it's not likely to be fixed by the everyday guitar store. If the instrument is a valuable one, you should definitely shop around for a qualified repairman. Even if it's not valuable but simply a player to keep you should have someone qualified assess the damage. You can't guess on a price because all repairmen will have different shop rates and each a slightly different approach to the repair.

Good luck.