1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Broken Output Jack

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by zopiac, Apr 16, 2009.

1. zopiac

zopiac

Apr 16, 2009
    Belleville
    First post here, hope someone can help with my predicament :/

I took off the faceplate for my Fender Squire P-Bass to give it a colour change, and something went wrong in putting it back on and there was no sound coming out. Opened it back up and rearranged things a bit, but in the process a 'cord' broke; it's one of those cords that is just a cluster of small wires. Take a look at my diagram and see if you can help me, please. (if you can understand it) Green wire goes to the main volume knob and contains a white wire and the small wires. Each of these two wires goes to a different peg on the output jack. :help:

How might I fix this, and how do I set it up correctly?

Thanks in advance, hopefully. However, it's not a /huge/ deal if i can't fix this. I bought it off of someone for $20, all scratched up and spray-painted (hence the need for the colour change) after it was thrown in a river :p my Cort is much better anyways, but it would be good to have this bass working again!

Attached Files:

2. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    Solder the wire back on. It goes to the peg on the output jack that doesn't have the white wire on it.

Very simple fix.

3. ThunderV

ThunderV Is getting yelled at by his cat!!

Mar 26, 2007
    Brunswick, OH
    Either solder the wire back together or if you don't know how to have someone else do it for you. You could also twist the wires together and then wrap the twist with electrical tape. I would definitely solder it if I were you.

4. zopiac

zopiac

Apr 16, 2009
    Belleville
    :/ not sure wheni'd be able to solder it/get someone to solder it for me, as well as get electrical tape...

i dont have a way to get anyplace myself, and my parents never have time to go out of their way for something so small...(in two months i havent even been able to get them to radioshack to get a few capacitors) i guess i could look around the house more for some tape, though. hopefully i will get lucky :/

also, the wires just barely reach normally; it would be difficult to successfully accomplish either of these things. and, how would i put it back in? just, make sure the wires arent in the way of the plug? because, it didnt even work when i first put it in and it was still attached...

5. Get a short piece of wire of the same size and add it to the circuit to make it longer. Temporarly just twist them together and cover with anykind of tape. Then get it fixed properly when you can.

6. zopiac

zopiac

Apr 16, 2009
    Belleville
    I did this, but there is still no sound coming out :/ found a USB cable i wasnt using, cut it open, got a red wire from in it, cut it to about 2 inches long, stripped the ends, twisted it to the broken ends, plugged it in, nothing happened. Do different wire types matter? i wouldnt think so, but you never know. im not completely sure how these are supposed to be wired, so if someone could provide an image or diagram of how this bass is wired, i would be grateful :)

thanks for the help so far!

7. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    Can you take a picture of the wiring and post it?

8. Make sure your jack is not shorted. Also make sure your tension arm is pressing against the plug tip (+) with good pressure. Look elsewhere for loose wire connections on pots, etc. Incorrect wire size will be ok to locate your problem but try to replace it with the correct wire, Usually 22ga stranded.