1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

broken pick up

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mike phillips, Apr 16, 2006.

1. one of my duncan designed pick ups is broke on my jackson kelly bass. the material cracked around the magnet. the pick ups in there now are passive. i play hard rock mostly. what p/j pick ups should i get for this bass? should i go active with a set of emgs and wire it to 18 volts? what is the difference in sound between active and passive pick ups? i like the sound of this bass now, i hate that the j pick up is broke. thank you for any and all info.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

If it's Duncan designed they didn't make it but they may have some useful info that will give you direction if you contact them. They may have a comparable rec and they may have no info of any use at all. Since you like the tone, I would try and stick with it. Having it rewound wouldn't probably be cost prohibitive for starters. If it still functions fine, a repair may be a viable option.

Basically EMGs are a quality hi-fi tone. But I stuck an LJ-5 in mid position ran straight to the jack and was surprised at how passive it sounded. It's relative depending on variables. The difference in sound between actives and passives is as much a function of which pups you're comparing as anything - aside from that actives are invariably quiet.

EMG's are fine for rock. You'd need 25k volume pots at minimum. Seems most EMG harnesses are all 25k pots.