1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Broken pinkie finger on fretting hand

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by stodgers, Jul 10, 2012.

1. stodgers

stodgers

Jul 10, 2005
    Columbus, MT
    So after a little bit of tossing the football on the beach this weekend, I ended up with a broken finger. The good news is, all of the bones are in the right place for healing, no re-setting required. The bad news: my band is recording in the studio this weekend. So here's where I'm looking for input.

1. I could try to play everything with three fingers, and then go back and re-record everything that really sucks in a monh's time.
    2. I could try to play with the broken pinkie if the swelling goes down enough. The pain isn't bad, but I'm not sure how much pressure I could apply.
    3. A combination of the above.

Has anyone been in this position? My main concern is we have two shows in August and if I do any more damage, I'm risking being capable of playing those dates. A lesser concern is having a ****** recording because my drummer and guitarist are hearing something they're not used to underneath their lines.

Dilemma...

2. Keldog

Keldog

Jan 23, 2008
    Kind of...

I chopped off the middle finger of my fret hand.
    :(

Probably doesn't help ya much but ...well...things could be worse.

:D

3. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    Why record then go back and re-do...just postpone the session. Just take the time to recover and record them later.....as if you had to re-do what went down in the original sessions.
    As for the injury, it depends on the extent of it, and how much you are willing to give it to heal correct.

As I say to anyone that looks to justify their action for playing, "what would happen if you died"? A bit extreme...maybe, but it gives a perspective on the fact that things go on with or without us....as musicians we can justify anything that relates to our "art".

4. stodgers

stodgers

Jul 10, 2005
    Columbus, MT
    We actually got a deal for booking when we did, for half off. So if I ask to postpone, the three other guys have to pay twice as much.

Yikes on the middle finger though! Hope you're still able to play!

5. Keldog

Keldog

Jan 23, 2008
    yeah, I still play. That was quite awhile ago and I just figured out a different way to play.

Looks a bit odd but.... :p