1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Broken Rod or warped neck wood?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by improvpwnd, Dec 1, 2006.

1. The truss rod on my Ibanez SR885 is as tight as it can go (when turning to the right), but my action is still realllly high. Even though I changed string gauges dramatically (E-C to B-G) I have had the action very low with this gauge before. It is not a bridge problem, it is a neck problem. I also just moved to a more humid area--so could the neck just be warped from the sudden humidity change? I haven't heard a crack so I don't think its broken.. Should I try loosening it all the way and then re-tighten?:confused:

2. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Yeah, loosen the nut, straighten the neck manually, then retighten. The nut should be snug but not super-tight.
    Sometimes you can actually overtighten the truss rod nut and it compresses the wood inside. When that happens, you can crank the nut as hard as you can and nothing happens, that a possibility in your case
    In this instance, you can counter this by taking off the truss rod nut, adding a washer or two to the rod, then put the nut back on and adjust accordingly.

3. So taking off the rod would consist of loosening it all the way until it comes out? I would imagine I would need to take off all the strings first if I were to do this..

4. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    Could it just be that you need a neck shim?

'

Scott

5. No, as I said before, I have had very low action in the past with the same strings...

6. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina

Yes, but is it possible that the neck got whacked out of alignment at some point? In any case, your best option is to take the bass and the strings you want to use to a repairman and see what he can do with it.

7. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    If you moved to a more humid area, then the neck would move toward a back-bow, apparently lowering the action, not raising it. So something else is going on here. I would have a tech look at it.