1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

broken roland cube100

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ludwig109, Aug 30, 2008.

1. hey, ok this is my backup amp and im not sure what happened to it

i dont think it happened while playing but it was in the back of a van for a few days as we were traveling around and gigging.

when i turn it on no lights come on, but i can hear a slight hum. but i dont think its from the speaker i think its from the amp part of the combo.

brought it to a music shop and the first thing they did was try a different fuse.. no help. then they ended up just wasting my time and doing nothing so i took it back home.

when i first found it was broken and wouldnt turn on i tried a different socket and it worked.. but then again next time i turned it on it was back to broken and has been like that since.
    so its not sockets or the fuse methinks.

im hoping its just something loose inside but what do you guys think? anyone had a similar situation?
    im having an electrician friend have a look at it soon hopefully hell find something obvious and easily fixable as he hasnt much if any experience with amps...

btw.. its well out of warranty had it for years and this is the first problem ive had with it.

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    It could be something as simple as the power cord having a break in it, which usually happens near the ends. Or it could be inside the amp. You won't know until it's looked at by someone competent to work on amplifiers. Just looking around inside the amp usually won't tell you anything, unless it's something obvious like a part burned out and showing burn marks.

Its an amp even though it's a pretty good one. Things fail on all amps after a time. You just have to accept it the same way your car will break down from time to time. When your car breaks down you take it to a mechanic and if he's good at what he does, he fixes it and tells you what failed and why. So, when your amp breaks down you take it to a qualified serviceman and he fixes it if he's good and tells you what failed. That costs money but it's all part of the music business. You always have to set aside a certain percentage of money for maintenance on your gear the same as you need to with your car.

3. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Is the power cord detachable? If so, try another one. This is the same power cord that is typically used for computers, so you can probably find one to borrow.

4. You went and broke my Amp - Damn it! I was saving my pennies too :D

5. not detachable hopefully its something that simple anyway.
    would it make that buzzing sound though if the cord was the problem?

6. bump

7. found out what happened to it...:p
    someone put a cent throught one of the slots in the back of it and it got wedged between some parts on a circut board..
    slightly random.. first thing to go wrong with this amp in 4 or 5 years..