1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Broken screw from strap lock

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Rycebag, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Rycebag

Rycebag Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Was changing the strap on my bass and the screw head was stripped so I tried to wiggle it out so I could clamp the neck of the screw with pliers and spin it out but instead, the screw broke in half. Should I just drill a new hole right next to this?

IMG_4173.JPG

2. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    I'd try a small back out bit first

3. Rycebag

Rycebag Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Nice. The screw is slightly below the start of the hole. would the back out bit make the hole bigger?

4. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    a back out bit works by drilling a small hole in the screw shaft, then inserting the back out bit into the hole. It has reverse threads so it grabs the metal and as you unscrew the shaft it locks into the shaft metal and backs it out. It would work only if there is enough shaft to drill into...it would be a very small hole...but back out bits come in some pretty small sizes.
    Worth a try to see if you can find one that small. If you can't then the next option would be to try to cut a slot into the shaft with a dremel disc...but you may damage the wood if the screw shaft is beneath the wood surface.
    You might also consider taking it to a good instrument repair person if the screw shaft is below the wood line.

Lownote38 likes this.