Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Broken Speaker Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by int, Aug 10, 2003.

1. I bought a pair of Emminence Kappa speakers about a year ago to replace the stock Carvins in my Carvin 2x10 cab. Only good reviews from me. I've been completely satisfied and impressed many a people.

After setting up for soundcheck the other night, I stacked up, plugged in, and realized something was up. After a visual inspection I saw a pencil sized hole in one of the speakers. I ended up setting the cab aside and just used the Carvin 15" cab for the show (still getting several compliments, not bad for a 10 year old, all original cabinet). After another inspection, post dragging the cabinet into my apartment, I'm pretty dishevelled.

The speaker is split about halfway around. But there is no way there was enough power going through my Carvin head for this to result. Nor have I mistreated my equipment by any means. I really can't find any other reason for this to not be a defective speaker. Especially considering the one sitting next to it is completely fine.

So, I see they have a warranty and I have an electronic copy of my order saved in my email, which I can print out.

But in all honesty, is it really possible to get these things replaced/warranted? If so, where. If not, what are the options?

I live in Denver and I'd rather deal with a local shop if I can. Otherwise, can anyone give some advice as to where I should call/send the speaker/deal with this?

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers, and thanks.

-Pat

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
  3. CS Bass

CS Bass

Feb 18, 2003
    One of my friends had that same problem, but his speakers were eaten by mice! (Or rats, some kind of small rodent)

4. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    i was in a sound shop once called richer sounds, in england and i saw this boy of about 5 years poke his finger rite the way through the middle bit of a bose speaker i think and it got broken but the shop didnt charge, so i woulld guess you would be able to take it back to the shop and they will refund it

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    The rip might be a warranty issue, but when you say there is a pencil-sized hole through the cone, its clear that someone or something poked at it. I'd really doubt they'd cover that as a warranty repair. It is conceivable that the surround might tear due to a manufacturing defect, but the punched-in hole makes it all terribly suspicious.

FWIW, Eminence makes great speakers, but since they do so much volume they are VERY protective of people making replacement claims for damage. In my experience, they deny claims if there's any evidence at all that the speaker was damaged from misuse or tampering/poking.

Best of luck to you.

6. I hear ya. The hole actually started with a seperation near the edge, like the glue disintegrated or something.

It's definately more of a "seperation," as opposed to a puncture, so I don't think there needs to be any suspicion.

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Speaker problems are too hard to diagnose without visuals. Can you post a pic or 2?

8. I'll snap a pic if I get home at a decent hour tonight. I've got a new full time job, so I'm trying to finish some correspondence classes - plus band practice this evening.

Hopefully I'll hear back from the vendor sometime today and I can ship it tomorrow. I'll grab a pic if I have the chance in the meantime.

Thanks again guys.

9. Years ago I had the grill off my home stereo speakers, for some unknown reason. Some visitors came by with a 4 year old kid. The moment the kid walked in the room, he made a straight beeline towards the speaker and before I could say a word, he reached up and poked his finger in the tweeter.

I didn't know the tiny magnets in the tweeter had such a magnetic attraction for little boys' fingers.

10. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Funny story, I have a similar one.

Last summer I replaced all four drivers in one of my bass cabs with Eminence Kappa Pros, about $350 worth of speakers. Just installed them, cab was laying on its back, and as I got up from the floor to grab the grill, my 3 year old leaned his hand (and weight) right on one of the cones, straight through it . . . AAAARRRGGGG!!!!