Broken Speaker Repair...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pin_head_47, Jan 24, 2004.

1. Well, ive had my avatar for quite some time now, and this is the first time ive had any problems with it. A friend of mine was rehearsing with his band tonight, while using my rig, and after they had finished i pluged in and noticed one of the speakers was "flapping" a little bit. So i took a closer look and i noticed that the inner dome on the speaker had started to separate from the outer cone (pardon my not knowing the proper terms for the speaker parts). There are no rips, tears, holes or any other damage, it just appears as though the glue had come undone from about half of it.

The cab is a 212 Delta (handles 1000 watts at 4 ohms), bought used off eBay, so i can forget about warranties. So far i think the cause of the problem was my friend simply cranking up the gain too far on my SWR750 (which was putting out a total of 450 watts, only running at 8 ohms) and pushing the preamp too hard (i had noticed the red clipping light was coming on quite a bit). Ill have to have a few words with him about using my amp after i take care of it... :meh:

But right now i need to know: is it possible for me to repair it myself? It simply looks like it could easily be reglued back in place, everything is still intact... but do i have to use a special glue to prevent from damaging the paper cone? If not ill just find somewhere to have it sent in, but im a do-ityourselfer, and it doesnt look all that bad. Any input from one of you speaker wazards would be great.

Peace. :bassist:
  2. You could try a couple of things to see if there's any internal damage.

First gently push the cone back and forth to see if there's any scratching or sticking. Second, look at the surround very carefully to see if there are any small tears or separations from the cone or the basket. Third, take the speaker out of the cabinet and look inside the basket to see if there is a chunk of stuffing or if the spider - the accordion folded thingy that holds the cone in place - has come unglued at all.

If everything looks ok, then I think a littl bit of glue on the dust cap where it's coming off wouldn't hurt.

I would call avatar though, I've heard through this board that they are very helpful, you just never know. At the very worst they can sell you a new speaker, or if you have a shop nearby that recones speakers you might want ot look into that too. I know of one or two up here in the Twin Cities if you're ever in town.

Stay Low,

3. What type of glue do you recommend i use? Should i go with some kind of gel-type super glue, or what else would work best?
  4. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL has speaker recone and repair glue. It would be the best stuff for that job.
  5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I've used Duco cement to reattach domes to speaker cones. It's available at any hardware store. Look for "General Purpose Cement" that is good for gluing together paper, metal, cloth, ceramic, etc.

Spread a little around the perimeter of the dome, press it in place (you can hold the dome down with a piece of masking won't cause damage if you are very careful when you remove it) and then add a little adhesive around the joint once the dome's in place.

If you don't want to use tape to hold the dome in place a small amount weight applied (like the masking tape roll) with the cabinet on its back or the speaker on its magnet if you took it out, until the glue dries.
  6. Yeah, i considered Duco since its insanely strong and i use it on just about everything else, but i found some info on some obscure site that suggested carpenters clue or plain old elmers glue. The stuff i got was made by Loc-tite... a good all purpose wood adhesive. I put a good thick line down where the old glue was, pressed it down for a bit, and let it tack up a bit. After that i put another line around the crack, then wiped the area clean with a damn rag. Im assuming that i should let it cure at least 24 hours but it looks like its gonna hold together good.

Thanks for all the input everybody; ill get an update as soon as i find out how it holds up next time i play with it. :bassist:

7. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Hey, I just had this problem with the dust cap coming unglued. I talked to Dave from avatar yesterday because I was set to buy a replacement speaker. He said he'd love to sell me a speaker but all I really needed to do was glue it back on with plain elmer's glue. I did it last night and am waiting to try it out. pin_head, How did your fix go?
  8. Hey, its been doing great so far, i havent had many chances to gig it out or really push it lately but it seems fine. Elmers glue works good, its pretty close to the wood glue i used. Just be careful when you put it back together cause it can get kind of messy, and it can be tricky to get it all back in the right spot. I wiped down the area with a wet rag after the glue tacked up, to clean up the extra stuff that oozed out. Good luck with yours :bassist:

9. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Thanks for the update. Using a toothpick, I just dabbed glue between the cap and the speaker and wiped up the excess with q-tips. I let it set for a day and tried it out this afternoon. Seems to have worked, the glue held and the speaker sounds like new (no flabbing). However, I need to try it at full volume at one of our 5 hour rehearsals before I can give a definitive thumbs up... :bassist:
  10. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Bravo! I love it when a manufacturer doesn't try to sell you something that you don't need, but instead steers you toward an inexpensive solution.
  11. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Indeed. Lose one sale now, gain respect, customer loyalty, and many more sales in the future......
  12. I have repaired more voice coil wires and re-attached more dust caps than I can remember, with plain acrylic glue (Velpon). Never once did one come loose. But I would definitely use poly-urethane or bi-compound resin nowadays. The loudspeaker business seems to greatly benefit from most high-tech plastics and foams, especially poly-urethane.

Yeah, Avatar seems to value customers, not just their money. I guess they use common sense instead of sales training.