Broken Strap Button Screw, fixable?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Kuchar, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Kuchar

Kuchar

May 31, 2006
    Michigan
    Hey guys, quick question for yous.

A while back one of my strap lock screws broke off inside of my bass. I had a gig coming up so I didn't have time to get it properly fixed, as a result, kind of did a hack job repair.

I drilled a hole, basically right next to the other one with the broken off screw and super glued in a new screw for the strap lock. I'm not very much regretting this and would like to have it fixed, but I'm not 100% sure something like this is fixable. I'm pretty sure there would just be a huge hole if I removed both screws. Also, does something like this cause a bass to lose much value? It's a Music Man Sterling, if that matter.

Thanks guys

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Anything is fixable. Need some pics to assess the carnage, please.

Riis

3. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    It should be a fairly straightforward fix. The new screw can be removed by using a soldering iron to heat the screw and break the CA glue joint. To remove the old screw grab it with a pair of pliers and unscrew it. If that isn't possible there are screw removal tool available.

Then plug both holes with dowels using a good wood glue. Drill a new hole in the original location and re-install the straplock. If you are lucky the repair will be hidden by the straplock. If so there should be no change in value. If it shows I would expect a minor discount but not enough to justify a refinishing job.

Badwater likes this.
  4. Kuchar

Kuchar

May 31, 2006
    Michigan
    Alrighty, thanks guys. I'd post some pics but I'm at work ATM. Wouldn't get a whole lot from them though as it's barely noticeable right now. It's just the fact that there is a half broken screw buried in there that bugs me. I'll search the area at the point and see if I can find a place to have it done professionally.

Thanks again

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 24, 2022