Broken Strap Piece

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Timos, Dec 24, 2015.

1. Timos

Timos

Dec 24, 2015
    Hey all,

The other day, I was getting ready to play a set and as I was tuning up, one of the plastic pieces of my strap broke. Now, this isn't the first time something like this has happened, the first time it was the plastic loop that holds the piece of leather which connects to the strap buttons on my bass. For that, I just bought a metal loop to replace it. This time, it's the only other plastic piece, the one that has three horizontal bars and allows you to adjust the length of the strap. I'm hoping to MaCGyver this one too, with another piece of metal so that I don't have this problem again.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas!

(I have attached the image of the piece and where it fits in, for better reference)

2. rufus.K

rufus.K Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    That plastic buckle will usually hook over a strap button. Happened to me once

3. Timos

Timos

Dec 24, 2015
    It's not the button hook, it's the adjuster for the strap length. Have you ever had to replace it? I'm trying to see what people have done to fix it so that I don't have to buy a new strap all together.

4. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Maybe try using a quality strap?

elgecko and bholder like this.
  5. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    Hey Timos, welcome to Talk Bass ...

A good quality strap, that holds your bass comfortably and without worry, is IMHO a must have rather than a luxury ... that is why I have 3 ... I happen to like 4" Italia straps, for a while they were the best bang for the buck until they started to raise that prices ... good quality straps often come up used for sale as well, I have sold probably 2 or 3 Italia's over the years for 1/2 of new price, simply to change the color ... no buckles, no plastic, nothing to break, etc ...

With regards to 'MacGyvering' the current, if adjustability is not a concern, I would probably just 'overlap' the nylon pieces with a solid layer of Shoo-Goo, and then once it dries maybe put in a short rivet or two just for good measure ... obviously you could also just have the two pieces sewn together, but the first would be more of a 'Mac' move ;)

... in any case, just eliminate the broken piece (and the adjustability) ...

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I've had it happen during a gig. I just tied a knot to tide me over until the gig was done. Went and bought another strap.

7. rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    I know what it is... I'll take a picture in a few minutes to show you

8. rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Like this

Attached Files:

9. Timos

Timos

Dec 24, 2015
    Thank you very much for the suggestion! I'll have to decide on whether I want to be able to adjust it in the future or not, but I'll follow your guide! As for the Italia straps, ill have to start looking online for some, thanks!

10. reddesert

reddesert

Mar 19, 2015
    That piece is called a tri-glide buckle. You can often buy them at outdoor gear stores like REI, or army surplus type stores, because they are used as strap adjusters on backpacks.

Timos likes this.
  11. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Inactive Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    This. Although they usually are not serviceable. It is sticthed around one end of the strap. Those stitches would need to be opened and then restitched for the repair to work.

12. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    If the plastic buckle has already been breaking,
    I wouldn't trust it to hold my bass.

Best to eliminate it.

13. reddesert

reddesert

Mar 19, 2015
    True. Although it is a pretty easy fix if you can sew by hand. The stitching doesn't need to be super straight or even, as for a piece of clothing. I've fixed such straps on backpacks, though not on an instrument. The tri-glide buckle doesn't actually bear the full weight of the instrument, it holds the tension on the strap through friction of the material. There are metal variants of this buckle, but it may be hard to find a metal version in the 2" strap width at retail.

14. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    First, metal bits on your strap beat up your finish. If you are the animated type when on stage, some finish dings may be an acceptable tradeoff for the security of metal bits on your strap(s) because i've never seen plastic strap parts i'd trust if i was coming off the top rope with my bass strapped on.

Second, if you are not in need of HD straps/hardware to avoid unplanned bass departure during performance, look for nice stout leather end tabs and plastic parts with rounded edges and uniform color throughout. If the plastic appears to have little shiny pieces in it, that is filler and seriously weakens it. I have no need for metal bits and no back problems so i have always used the chea pass nylon straps you can get for a few bucks. I just look for stout leather end tabs and quality injection molded plastic bits. The giveaway is rounded edges, no sharp edges or corners.

As has been mentioned, you can get all manner of high quality straps for bass, even straps to help minimize back pain caused by strapping on a bass. I've never had any back issues so i've never had need for anything beyond the basic strap, but the high dollar strap market thrives for a reason, and there are some stunning straps available, it's just not my thing. To me, it's like putting a pretty red bow on a hammer handle. Looks nice and all, but does dick to improve the nail driving capability.

15. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Throw that strap out and get a good solid leather one. SERIOUSLY. If you depend on anything plastic to hold an instrument, throw it away.

JustForSport likes this.
  16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021