Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Broken String ,fret buzz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by skaboy, Apr 27, 2002.

1. skaboy

skaboy

Oct 16, 2001
    NZ
    Just few hours ago i broke my G string while doing some heavy slapping. Then i noticed while playing the other strings , it makes a buzzing sound and i also noticed that my action is extremely low. My action is suppose to be medium. Did my neck relief screw up when the G string broke. Do i need to do something with my truss rod. I am sure I do because the actions is incredibly low. By the way i have a cort curbow 4 string and i think you use a phiilip screwdriver to adjust the truss rod. But i not going to touch it for now.

2. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    If you didn't put a new G-string on, then yeah, the absence of the string has screwed up the tension on your neck. I wouldn't suggest messing with your truss rod though, I would just put a new string (or set) on there.

Dave

3. skaboy

skaboy

Oct 16, 2001
    NZ
    but ahh what about my action? I mean can string breaking screw up the relief/truss rod?
    Also this question has nothing to do with this but umm sometimes when i pluck a string or fret a string a bit harder it makes a fuzzy/buzzing sound in my amp, my teacher say it's my output put too high since on the cort curbow you can adjust the slap depth and overall gain. I've fiddled with it put i am not sure that i can see any difference. The fuzzy/buzzying also increases when i switch it to the slap groove setting. :rolleyes:

4. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    a string breaking wouldn't like break your truss rod or anything. your action should go back to normal if you put the same kind of string on. as for the fuzzy/buzzing sound, try lowering your pickup. the lower the pickup is, the cleaner it will sound, but the quieter it will be. i have my p-pickup pretty low and my j-pickup a bit higher to even out their outputs but also to get a better tone. find a height that sounds good, is loud enough, and is comfortable for you (if you rest your hand on it, pick above it, etc..)

Dave