Broken string: What did I do wrong?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by FireSlash, Sep 5, 2010.

1. becker4567

becker4567

Jul 26, 2008
    Yup! Your string got caught in the very crappy string disc and pulled apart at its weakest point between the disc and the peg. Replace it with a 3 slot string tree (not disc). I get mine from buzzardsbass.com for about $6.

2. Glad you think so. To answer your question, nothing. But that's not the issue as THE WRAP WIRE WASN'T COMPROMISED. What's so hard to understand about that? Did you look at the photo?

Actually it broke; it didn't pull apart apart, exactly at the peg, as stated by the OP. The idea that 'the crappy disc' broke the string is nonsense. The friction you have observed is at the nut, as a result of the string tree's pushing the string into it, not the string tree itself.

3. jgriffin

jgriffin

Jun 13, 2009
    I can't believe I'm bothering with this, but yes, I did look at the photo and that wrap wire sure as hell looks compromised to me. See how its all straightening out? And not wound? Not actually wrapping anything? I'd call that compromised.

It's ridiculous that you think you know precisely how this broke, when people who actually own this instrument have first-hand experience with this exact, common, failure.

And you're dead, 100% wrong about where I've observed the friction (wholesale hang-up actually) and for you to pretend you could know better (remote-viewing maybe? stare at goats much?) is just silly. Or you're trolling.

4. becker4567

becker4567

Jul 26, 2008
    :rollno:
    Do yourself (and us) a favor and start taking your meds like a good boy.

5. Same thing just happened to me with DRs (totally different bass) on a B-string. I emailed DR and asked for a new string, and they said they'd send it.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 25, 2021