Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Broken Strings

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by SpunkMunkeeD, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Has anyone EVER broken a bass string? And if so, what type of laceration did you suffer?

I say this because I beleive it is imposible to break a bass string (within somewhat propper usage). I had one decoil on my friend when I ran sound for his band. It was hillarious. It went Bum bumbum bleeeeeeewwwwwwww. And the nickle just uncoiled from it's steel hex. Any one have any similar stories?

SpunkMunkeeD

2. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    I tried out boiling my strings, it worked ok. Then I put them on, started playing, and I busted E, it flew back and hit me in the arm, I have a scar from it.

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Ive broken a few strings, and knoiw some guys who have broken one or two befoore.

Its only been the core thats broken for me, but its happened a few times. I used to play pretty hard so its understandable.

Peace
    Nick

4. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I used to break em when I first started playing. Never had one hurt me though, they wouldn't break in two pieces, just come uncoiled.

5. there was this one time i was playing a really awesome bass solo and i started breaking the strings on purpose...after i got done playing a lick i snapped the g string and continued with the rest of thie strings...i just kept going till i ran out of strings...that last lick on nothing but the e string was rockin'

6. Only BASS I've ever broke strings on was the Steinberger XL-2. They just kinda go bblllahhhhhhh at the bridge. Nothing that scarred me for life, though.

7. I break strings once in a while, I've broken about 6 now I think. They don't hit me at all, they just explode at the bridge and the windings unravel (sp?) around the core.

8. I play for 6 hours at a time twice a week, and an hour every night when i can. I have never broken a string.

:D:D

Merls

I am the bestest. lol

9. In about 2 years of playing bass ive broken only 5 strings, 3 G's from popping, an A for no reason, and an E that shot out and put a dent in my wall, lucky it wasnt my arm.
    :D

10. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I broke 2 or 3 G strings that were very old over the years.They broke at the bridge while doing some slap and pop stuff. No injuries.

11. lowb

lowb

Jul 27, 2000
    London, UK
    Only ever snapped one g string ever, and that was while popping on my p-bass copy, with a set of strings that were years old :)

no injuries

peace

12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    We're all very proud of you.:)

Peace
    Nick

13. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Many, many years ago, whilst I was still using my Encore bass. We were at our rehearsel space one night, getting drunk with a bunch of friends and we were playing some song that I don´t remember. Anyway, I was playing with a pick and I was heavily into the music, then all of a sudden I couldn´t hear my E string any more, and it felt very loose. I then discovered I had broken the E string at the bridge. Of course i didn´t have a spare so I had to call it quits for the night (Playing that is).

That is the only string I´ve ever broken in my 9 years of goofing around on the bass.

14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Have any of you broken a string durring a gig?

I have, Its such a pain in the ass trying to play without an A!

I managed to pull it off somehow though.

Peace
    Nick

15. LowEndRider

LowEndRider Guest

Mar 4, 2002
    Australia
    In 30 years of playing I've never broken one of my strings but on a great gig our Keyboard player got excited, lost balance and grabbed my E string on the way down in the FIRST SET......(No, I didn't have a spare and Yes, it is very exciting to have to transpose all the songs on the Fly!).

16. Ive broken about 5 strings before, the first time a G, from tuning up the wrong string. I've broken a G from when i first startes some slapping, and maybe another G from it being old. But... get this, I seem to have managed to break an E string:eek: before, just boink, it busted at the bridge. never had one snap completely, just the inner core, leaving the rest to uncoil a bit. Perhaps the was because my amp is so lame and quiet that sometime I dig in a bit too much...

17. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    The first string I broke was an E.

Its mostly A's though.

Ive never broken a B.

Peace
    Nick

18. I LOVE a good G-string coming off.....

19. Cossiemon

Cossiemon

Aug 20, 2001
    i've broken a couple of strings - split a D when i got into a bit of slap/pop frenzy one day.

20. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I broke several strings on my Stingray... always on the G-string.. I play with a fairly lighter touch... not too light, not too heavy.. but i always broke just the g-string.. I've never broken a string on any other bass except my stinray.. I have a feeling it was the saddle.. because thats where it always broke..

Right before a gig last semester, I was getting ready to go onstage, there was a group finishing up before us.. I was running through some line.. and the g-string snapped.. No problem, i had a spare... THE spare was missing... so i grabbed some kids bass and took off his string and used it.. he said it was ok... i think he did anyway... well right when i go to take my string off, it slips and slices my index finger right on the tip.. an nice long deep gash that produced a decent amount of blood.. It hurt... but i went on anyways... getting sweat in a wound while you are playing doesn't feel so great