1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Broken Tailpiece

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by jtlownds, Mar 31, 2009.

1. jtlownds

jtlownds

Oct 3, 2004
    LaBelle, FL
    Three weeks ago, while playing with the church band, I had a little accident. As I was leaving the stage after the last set, I tripped over my mic cord and pulled the bass out of it's stand. A quick inspection revealed no apparent damage other than the bridge being knocked over. (not even a scratch) I got it set up again and played several gigs with no problems. Then, on Sunday, we had our first gig with a new band that we just started. The audience appeared to love what we were doing. When I got home and started unloading the gear, I noticed that my bridge was down again. On closer inspection, the tailpiece had split between the pocket and the end, along the holes for the tailpiece cord. In my 53 years of playing double bass, I have never seen a tailpiece break. I have seen the wires break but never a tailpiece. Anyone ever seen this happen before? I'm not really looking for advise, I just needed to vent. :bawl:

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I would consider it a blessing... you lost an easily replaced item that requires no precision fitting.