Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Broken tip-end of cord stuck in jack

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shizack, Feb 24, 2005.

1. shizack

shizack

Aug 24, 2004
    I have an Eden WT-500 head, and a broken-off tip of a guitar cord is stuck in the "send" jack of the mono effects loop. I don't even currently use the mono loop, but it bothers the $**+ out of me that it's in there. :mad:
    Is there any way that anyone can think of that I can get it out without replacing the whole jack? It's one of those sealed plastic types. It's not worth risking the circuit board to me.
    I've tried using a screw and roach cli... uhh, hemostats :D , but no luck.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    You could drill a small hole in the opposite end of the jack. Then push it out with a pin or something. Use a hand drill, like the ones made by dremel. But that is if you are comfortable with that. Another way to do it is to get some of those little grabber claws. They usually have 4 hooked wires, with a spring loaded plunger that sitcks them out. That may be able to grab it.

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    well, does it still work?

4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Trevorus has a good idea. A little risky IMO, but it should work. If it were me, I'd bite the bullet and dig into the amp. Usually, that "sticking" thing with plastic jacks means that one of the "prongs" inside the jack has become mis-shapen. In other words, even if you get the stuck cord out, the next time you plug something in there, it'll happen again. It should pretty easy to replace the jack, if you're handy with a soldering iron. If not, a tech can do it, that would probably be a "minimum bench charge".

5. shizack

shizack

Aug 24, 2004
    Oh, yes - the amp works fine. Best sounding amp I've ever played through.
    Thanks for the suggestions - I think I'll try the claw-grabber thing. I have one somewhere.
    (edit) - I am a bit handy with a soldering iron, but thanks to David Eden making the inside of this thing TOO neat and pretty, it'd be like changing spark plugs in a brand-new import car. :meh:

6. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    You mean David Nordschow? ;)

7. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Lol. I never get tired of hearing that one.

8. My headphones jack broke off in my Pod, and I was able to tease it out with some very narrow needlenose pliers.