Broken tone knob, AND input-jack!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by MasterBasser7, May 20, 2002.

1. I was playing my bass a few months back and noticed that the tone knob seemed to be getting loose and was moving past the point it used to stop at when you would turn it. I let this go for a few months, and then one day, the washers and everything off the input-jack fell off. Now i cannot plus my cable into the bass, therefore i have no sound. I was wondering if i could fix this myself, or should i take it in, seeing im not real experienced with repairs. Also, did the loose tone knob have anything to do with the input-jack breaking? If so, how can i prevent this in the future?

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    It sounds as if it could be as simple as the nuts coming loose. Unless you put some unusual stress on the electronics, I would guess all the solder joints are still in tact.

It should be a VERY easy repair. Remove the back plate, return the input jack to the place it is supposed to be and simply replace and tighten the nut that holds the jack in place.

As for the tone knob, while you have the back off, also remove the control knob on the pot. It will either pull right off or will have a set screw on the side. I am not familiar with Dean basses.

This should expose another nut that screws down over the pot post. Reach through the rear cavity, hold the tone pot in place and use the appropriate size wrench to tighten the nut on the tone pot post.

If the tone pot is tight and post continues to spin inside the pot's case, the pot itself is broken and should be replaced. If you can't solder, perhaps you should have a tech fix it.

Shouldn't cost more than $10-20 at the most.

3. IMO there is a larger lesson to be learned here and younger, inexperienced players seem to need it taught to them by experiences such as this.

Treat your equipment with respect! When there is something out-of-sorts, have it looked at and repaired immediately. If you don't have it done by a pro then learn to do it yourself. The first thing to understand is that your bass, as a musical instrument, is a delicate balance of electronics, acoustics, natural and manmade materials, and hardware. To play properly, ALL of these components should be in top working order or as good as they can be given their quality. Treating your equipment with care will extend it's life, enhance it's sound and playability, and perhaps, help maintain it's value. It's your call but good musicians, like good carpenters or auto mechanics, keep their tools in good condition.
  4. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    But it's just so cool to turn over your stack and throw your bass across the stage after a gig! :)