Broken Tone knob

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by SKiRgE, Jun 18, 2001.

1. SKiRgE

May 25, 2001
    On my Rogue SXB100, I have the volume knob and tone knob. Volume is fine, but I think the tone one is messed up. While playing, there is no apparent difference in sound when I change the tone. Is the difference provided by the tone knob supposed to be painfully obvious? I opened up the back panel, all the wiring seems right, no bad wiring or connections or soldering. Help?
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well...there's your problem right there!;):D

Rogues are of notorious low quality...Do a search on them here, you'll find a very large anti-Rogue movement.

Thus said, it might be the pot. As in, the part that the wire leads into, this could be dirty, broken, ect. In other words Defective. And the tone's difference sould be obvious. On a Rogue, maybe not painfully so, but it sould get higher, and thinner, or lower and deeper depending on the way you turn it.

Shoulda Bough a Squire for a starter, IMHO...course, I'm not aware of your monetary situation, so congrats on at least picking up bass!...Oh, and Welcome to TB Skirge...
  3. SKiRgE

May 25, 2001
    yeah, I know Rogue isn't that great, but having never played before and not wanting to spend a lot of money on something I might lose interest in shortly, I went with my Rogue. It cost only $100 at and it sounds fine, and I am starting to get seriously interested in bass. But hey, tone's not as important as what you're playing.
  4. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.

It doesn't sound like you have much of a problem.
    The tone control circuit only has two parts. The control itself or the tone control cap, or capacitor.

If it makes no difference at all in the amp I would expect to find an open connection. If the pot itself were bad it would generally show lots of signs that it was going bad, such as scratchiness through the amp as you turned it.

If there are no bad solder joints, broken wires or something pretty obvious by a close visual inspection. By close, I mean with a magnifying glass and a good light. Any solder connections that look like they have a rough, grey look are suspect.
    Just reheat it with a pencil tip soldering iron and feed just a little bit of new rosin core solder onto the joint. Just be careful not to overheat the joint. If you haven't done the soldering thing before, it would be a good idea to put an alligator clip or a hemi on the wire very close to the solder joint to keek the insulation on the wire from melting and
    looking ugly.

If that doesn't uncover the problem the cap almost has to be the culprit. Simplest way to be sure is just to replace it. It costs less than a buck at Radio Shack. The value or description of the cap is usoally written on the cap in a decimal figure like .001
    or .01 .

Now hows that for a lot more than you wanted to know? :)

Hope this helps,