Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Broken tone Pot?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bplayerofdoom, Feb 8, 2003.

1. bplayerofdoom

bplayerofdoom

Aug 6, 2002
    R.S.M.
    My tone pot doesnt really work. Doesnt change tone much if at all. I just installed brand new pickups with the new pots that caame with em. Does anyone know whats wrong. Are they broken or perhaps do you know a common installation error(I dont know if thats possible i didnt touch tone pot) or anything?

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

It may not be properly wired.
    Can you explain us the schematics.

3. Did the new tone pot come with a capacitor? Is the capacitor wired? If there is no capacitor, the tone control won't work.

I guess that's the first place I'd check.

-Steve

4. bplayerofdoom

bplayerofdoom

Aug 6, 2002
    R.S.M.
  5. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    Have you checked the capacitor??? I don't know your pickups were passive and you have changed them to actives, but passive bass pickups are usually are used with .047mF and 250K pots.

At EMG's site, they mention a .1mf or maybe two .1mf in parallel (.2mF) with 25K pots.

At Seymour Duncan, the capacitor is .022mF and the pots are 100K.

I had this kind of problem with an used bass I bought. Passive + 250K +.1mF = no tone! I changed the cap to a .047 and viola!

6. bplayerofdoom

bplayerofdoom

Aug 6, 2002
    R.S.M.
    nope that cant be it. tone pot came with pickups but i did go from passive to active
    but everything new and came together

7. saw the diagram
    its standard emg..obviously
    the next q
    and forgive me
    have you grounded the tone pot body....
    other wise the cut signal cant go anywhere.
    :rolleyes:
    ** edit
    actually as i look at the diagram and if it came all prewired then it seems to be grounded ok..but run a testmeter over the circuit anyway for continuity when you pan the cap down leg to ground.

8. bplayerofdoom

bplayerofdoom

Aug 6, 2002
    R.S.M.
    the instructions say i dont need to ground it cause its internally shielded. and that testmeter idea sounds good but um i dont got one.

9. bplayerofdoom

bplayerofdoom

Aug 6, 2002
    R.S.M.
    and what does that mean. i got a little lost.

10. apologies
    when i speak tech talk it sometimes runs to silly words and such so i am sorry about being confusing.:(
    the pickup needs a ground to work and so do the controls so that a circuit is formed.
    and shielding is just for the pickup itself for hum etc.and is grounded through the shield wire which should be attached to the vol pot body..
    red to batt, white to vol pot tab 1 and shield to vol pot body....
    look closely at the diagram again and make sure all the connections have been made and that the grounding wires are attached to the jack at the right places. there is a separate connection for the batt negative wire...if you call the red positive..
    a meter is not a must...sometimes the eye is better when there is a glaring mistake..like the one i made this morning with a blend pot..
    its a good exercise and learning curve.
    and disconnect the batt when you are soldering.
    cheers.

11. bplayerofdoom

bplayerofdoom

Aug 6, 2002
    R.S.M.
    O i see my confusion on the grounding thing. No grounding needed referred to strings only "EMG pickups are sheilded internally and DO NOT require string grounding"

So far your help hasn't been too useful but now youve taught me what all those wires do which is nice to know. Perhaps from that I may be able to figure out my problem now. Thx.

O and how bad is it too sader with batteries plugged in? Cause um I did that during my second attempt to find out my problem where i cleaned up the sadering around the sheild wire to pot connection and the white pickup wire to tab 1 spot.

12. when standing at the edge of a cliff on a windy day
    enjoy the view from 50 feet back
    disconnecting the battery is just a precaution in case it is wrong to leave it connected
    and you dont need an extra 9v helping out with the soldering iron..
    imho:)