1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Broken truss rod repair

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by michael_atw, Apr 25, 2010.

1. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    I just recently picked up a 5-string Deluxe Series Jazz bass (1997) on ebay. When I got it in the mail I was sorely disappointed to find that there was a crack in the freboard through the middle of the 1st fret. The truss rod looks to be trashed, and it doesn't seem to turn. I immediately emailed the seller, providing pictures and trying to sort this all out. I came to find that the bridge pickup is dead as well, but that's another story. In any case, I got the bass for a steal (originally..hah) with a vintage 60's Fender case (he didn't know it was a vintage case that I can tell)...so I'd rather not return any of what I got. However, there is still that huge truss rod issue. Anyways, I was wondering how much it would cost to fix something like this (if fixable at all)?? I'd provide pictures, but I'm out of town. My guess was $125, but I bet that's low.

2. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    anyone have any suggestions?

3. Hi.

Generally speaking, fixing a bolt-on neck truss rod is feasible only if the neck is a true vintage/expensive one, or if the truss rod can be replaced without a major surgery. AFAIK no Fender truss rods fall into the latter category.

A crack in the fret-board (if in the line of the TR) usually means that the TR has came loose or there's a fault in the design/manufacturing.

Pics will help, but usually no-one can give a full answer just based on pics.

On the last thread of this kind I suggested the bolt-on TR repair price for around $400, but that's just me.

Regards
    Sam

4. vejesse

vejesse

Apr 8, 2006
    Madison, Wi
    Double Bass Workshop
    Is this a two way truss rod? Does the truss rod nut come off?

5. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    if the truss rod breaks, your neck is now trash.

i know of $5000 basses that have had failed truss rods. rather than attempt a repair, the luther in both situations just made a new neck.

6. vejesse

vejesse

Apr 8, 2006
    Madison, Wi
    Double Bass Workshop
    A broken truss rod sometimes can be repaired, it depends on the type of rod, where the break is and how much you're willing to do to salvage the neck. Now on this bass this is the bi flex rod, right? You might have to take the fingerboard off to fix it. In that case a new aftermarket neck will be cheaper.

7. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Sell the case, buy a neck, keep the change.

8. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    Thanks for the help. I figured it would be pulling teeth to do anything with the neck. It is in pretty rough shape. The bass in general has had quite the life. Somehow, I didn't get mad at the seller for sending me such a pile.:rollno:

I'm not sure what kind of truss rod is in it. The access comes out of the headstock, right under where the crack was. The truss rod end itself is farther into the neck than I've seen on any bass before. I have almost no doubt that it is useless at this point.

The seller offered me $100, but knowing what I do now I either need more or just to return it. Even with a sweet old case the fact that it needs a whole new neck AND a pickup is pretty depressing. The case itself is probably not worth as much as a neck.

9. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    If the seller will take it back, do not hesitate!