1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Broken truss rod teeth on old style Fender Precision.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bobyoung53, Nov 24, 2018.

1. OK I really cranked down on a Hotrod Precision with an old style neck-body end truss rod nut using a too small screwdriver and three of them broke off (I know), anyone have any ideas how I can get this out of there? I think it's like the original 60's down below. I'll be bringing it to a luthier but wanted some tips.

repro_truss_rod_nuts.

2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    The only idea I have is to bow the neck forward back so there is no pressure on the rod and try to turn the nut. We have already learned that you may not appricate what is enough and what is too much, so don't use so much pressure that you break the neck.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
    bolophonic likes this.
  3. Thanks, but I've never had a problem before in over 40 years, it was not from too much pressure it was from using a screwdriver that was too small but it's really on there.

4. Meghans Dad

Meghans Dad Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2016
    California
    Probably need a drill out tool like these from Sears. Don't go cheap with these. If you try it yourself, make sure the neck is secure on your work surface.

spin_prod_206710801?hei=442&wid=442&op_sharpen=1.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  5. Great idea thank you.

6. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    It seems like it would have been preferable to have all four sections break out. If there is a center hole, a reverse thread/EZ out tool might be the best bet before routing out the back of the neck.

Zooberwerx likes this.
  7. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Oops backward. Flex the neck back.

bobyoung53 and sissy kathy like this.
  8. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Edited, thanks.

9. There is a hole, have any idea where I could get one of those? I see something on Amazon but it needs a hole drilled or should I get one that matches the thread in the nut, yes that makes sense. Anyone know what thread a 3 year old American Fender Hotrod Precision truss rod nut would have? Two broke originally then one more broke when I tried to back it out with a large screwdriver I brought from back in the states (I'm in Peru right now)

10. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    The truss rod has a 10-32 thread. That won't help though, an extractor has reverse threads on it.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  11. Thanks.

12. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    If you look, the screw extractor has a tapered end. I would try to make use of the existing hole to use the tool to grab the inside of the hole and unscrew the truss rod nut. You can get these anywhere online in the U.S.

1U296_AS01.

Matt Liebenau and bobyoung53 like this.
  13. Thanks I've been researching and found some on Amazon, I assume you use these with a ratchet?

14. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Wouldn't these solutions cut into the rod, itself, therefore, shortening it? Could two small holes be drilled in opposing "quadrants" of the remaining nut and then a spanner wrench be used to back the nut out?

15. I'm hoping the extractor has a taper in which it gets lodged before it hits the end of the truss rod. I'm not sure how far the rod goes into the nut.

16. A tap wrench. The end of the extractor is square like a tap used to cut threads in metal. Here’s one style there are several others. T-Handle Tap Wrenches - Tools - IRWIN TOOLS If you’re careful, you could use a crescent wrench on the square end of the extractor but the right tool is the best idea.

If there is a hole in the center of the truss rod nut one of the screw extractors from post #12 is probably your best bet.

bolophonic and bobyoung53 like this.