Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Broken washer in tuner head...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mrbaloo, Jul 30, 2004.

1. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    Hi

I have noticed that the little plastic washer mounted between the "tuner handle" and the gear housing is missing on one of my Dean bass' tuners. Pls see attached picture. The tuners in the picture are Grover's and I think I can get an original replacement tuner if they are avaiable in Sweden. Are Grover tuners avaiable in Sweden?

Suprisingly, actually the same brakedown of the two washers on my Peavey Cirrus B-tuner has occured too! Does anyone know what brand of tuners there are mounted on Cirrus basses. I would like to get a replacement tuner for that bass too.

BTW the tuners works quite good despite the lack of the plastic washer(s).

Does someone else have had this problems with light weight tuners?

/MrBaloo

2. I've come up with a quick fix for this - see how you like it:

Take some WHITE waxed dental floss and make slipknot on one end and tie it in place on the tuner. Now wrap the dental floss around the post between the metal washers, pulling it tight, until the gap is filled. Tie off the remaining tail of the floss and you've got your fix. I've done this before and it stayed forever - to the point that I forgot it was even there.

3. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    Hi

Thanks for the advice. I'll guess that you replaced the broken washer with dental floss. Am I right? Ok, I think that till work for sure. But I'm into replacing the washer(s) or the tuner itself, hence getting the tuners in their original shape.

/MrBaloo

4. Here's the thing - those washers will only exist by themselves if someone has taken a tuner apart. Now, why would anyone need to take a tuner apart? Not many reasons to do so and not many more to save those washers unless you intend to reassemble the tuner. These aren't over the counter replacement things.

Absolutely - replacement is the best way to go.

5. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    Hi

I've got the information from Peavey support that the Cirrus tuners are Gotohs. So I suppose they are GB7s.

/MrBaloo

6. you could make your own washers using a hole punch to cut discs from a thin plastic sheet, then drill a hole through the centre.

7. MTR, these little washers don't exactly match (id or od) the standard hole punch... :meh:

BUT your suggestion has put me onto an idea. :hyper:

Why not cut a small square from the lid of a butter container - the milky soft plastic - and punch a hole large enough to put it on the tuner shaft. You'll now have an assembled tuner with a goofy square of plastic intersecting the tuner stalk. Now just use a razor blade to trim the plastic down perfectly flush with the contour of the stalk. Little bits at a time - you can't cut deeper than the rest of the washers in the stack will let you.