Broken wire inside my Corvette

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by CB3UK, Jan 26, 2018.

1. CB3UK

CB3UK

Jan 13, 2017
    Lexington, KY
    20180106_093734.jpg

Hopefully that photo pretty clearly illustrates my issue. The black wire on my tone control knob has somehow snapped. The other end, presumably, runs to the pickups. I'm an amateur at best with this stuff.....I do know residential electric enough to have installed and repaired most all of my appliances and fixtures.

I've tried wire nuts to reconnect the wires and all I got was monstrous feedback. Without the wires making a connection, I can play the bass, switch the active and passive on and off and roll up/down their volume, but the tone knob does nothing and the amount of overall volume I get is minimal.

Before I use this as an excuse to shell out $1500-2K to buy a MusicMan Stingray :D what am I missing. Please use the KISS rule if you have an idea....I am not adept in the world of ohms and watts and all that mess.

TIA

spaz21387 likes this.
  2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

That's just the bridge ground wire. If you can't make it reach the pot to solder it back on, just put in a new wire. If you remove the bridge, you should be able to see where the other end of the wire is.
    Those two thicker wires, with all the multi-colored wires inside, are the pickup leads.

mcnach and CB3UK like this.
  3. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    To me it appears that two black wires broke off the output jack. One is the bridge ground, the other is the "signal" ground. Both wires should be soldered to the second terminal on the output jack...it doesn't appear that any wire is soldered to it in your photo.

4. Killed_by_Death

Ha, I completely missed that, and yeah, need to solder both those wires back onto the output jack.

Reedt2000, Crater and CB3UK like this.
  5. CB3UK

CB3UK

Jan 13, 2017
    Lexington, KY
    So you guys are saying that those were never part of the same wire, that somehow both came loose, and that where I plug in my cord aka output jack is wherr I need to solder both too?

Easy enough fix! Thanks guys

Reedt2000 likes this.
  6. CB3UK

CB3UK

Jan 13, 2017
    Lexington, KY
    By second output jack, you are saying the extended metal piece on the left end of the jack (white wire clearly soldered to the end of the right extension) right? IIRC yes, only that white wire that's connected to the bridge pickup control knob in the middle is soldered to the jack.

Sorry for the layman's terms. I can solder well enough, just not savvy with the technical parlance.

Well wiring the ground to the ground may explain the horrendous loud squeal I got out of my amp last night :roflmao:

7. CB3UK

CB3UK

Jan 13, 2017
    Lexington, KY
    On a related note, I'm interested to know why I'm able to get sound without the circuit being complete. All I see is a white neutral being connected....how is sound even coming out now that I see how these wires add up. Anyone understand the reasoning there?

If I have my amp at 3 normally...I get plenty of volume. Now...Ive had to crank it up about 8 or 9 to get the same volume but it aounds like Ive got dead flats on there . Strange

8. Killed_by_Death

The sleeve of the jack is in contact with the shielding paint, thus providing it a ground connection.

9. CB3UK

CB3UK

Jan 13, 2017
    Lexington, KY
    Well I soldered them and the buzzing is gone and I get clean tone again but the tone control itself is still completely nonexistent. At this point that's good enough, I'm not jamming with anyone so as long as I can woodshed I'm good. I've been wanting to buy a Stingray anyway so now I can convince the mrs it's an urgent expenditure. Lol

10. kulit17

kulit17 Wal Collector #35 Supporting Member

looks like the tone pot looks suspect....
    also all that wiring doesn't appear stock.

warwick-corvette-standard-ash-e28093-electronics.jpg

what pickups are in your corvette now?

SirMjac28, Helix and Reedt2000 like this.
  11. CB3UK

CB3UK

Jan 13, 2017
    Lexington, KY
    It's all stock. I ordered it brand new. I've got MEC dual humbuckers on the front. Not my bass obviously but close enough: Warwick RB Corvette 4 $$ Burgundy Red Oil Finish

Like I said above, now that I've soldered the wires back onto the output jacks (once I looked at the jack and saw the residual solder from where both wires were previously connected I had an "Ohh....duh" moment lol ) the buzzing I had before is gone, and I get a clean tone. But I still get ZERO action from turning the tone control knob. Before I was able to get some serious differentiation between rolling it forward or back. Now....absolutely nothing. I'm sitting here fiddling around on my Ampeg BA-108 practice amp and normally in order to get solid volume for woodshedding I could have it somewhere between 3-4 to where I'm not pissing off the girlfriend or the neighbors. I have to crank it up to 8 now, and after my solder job this afternoon, that is still the case.

I have yet to take it to my music room to plug into my Ampeg Portaflex stack, but I'd say it's safe to assume that if I'm having the same volume/output issue with this practice amp that it's not going to have changed on my rig.

Edit: My bass is a Rockbass Corvette not the SS....so the wiring is probably different assuming the picture you uploaded is from an SS.

12. kulit17

kulit17 Wal Collector #35 Supporting Member

ah ok, gotcha! the pic I posted was from a Warwick corvette standard...... here's another pic I found...

af82eb95-b129-4363-9a35-3fa06e7d3d0d-15586-000011538f01b527_zps2660dd6c-jpg.jpg

CB3UK and SirMjac28 like this.
  13. CB3UK

CB3UK

Jan 13, 2017
    Lexington, KY
    That's a lot more like mine.

So when so did the solder job yesterday, judging from that picture, I soldered the two grounds back onto the wrong spot. The bridge ground wire I soldered onto much longer metal "post" coming from the output jack and the signal ground I soldered adjacent to the white neutral pickup wire.

Can anyone verify whether that makes a difference and would explain why I'm no longer getting buzzing but still getting zilch from the tone control? Or did it matter which of those two spots I reattached the grounds?

14. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    Did you have any work done to this bass recently?

A tone control is wired parallel to the signal path, to ground- all it does is feed some of the treble to ground as a way to elimiate it from the signal going to the output. If the tone control doesn't have one tab connected to either the ground wire or the shell of that control, it won't do anything. The second photo shows all three of the tabs on the control, but it looks like the cap is connected directly to the shell, not to the control- this means the control won't do anything. The control will use one of the end tabs as the input depending on the direction of rotation) and the center tab for output- the capacitor connects to the center and the shell of the control, which is connected to the other controls and the instrument's ground. It doesn't look like the cap is connected to the center tab.

15. Killed_by_Death

Check that your capacitor is connected like this:

upload_2018-1-27_13-58-29.png