Broken Wrist

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Thomas Stone, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Hello all

I broke my left (i'm right handed) wrist 4 weeks ago (fracture of the scaphoid bone) and have at least another two weeks in plaster.

Has anyone out there got any tips on rehabilitating my hand once out of plaster. I know i'll have to work very very slowly and not be tempted to just carry on from where i left off , which will be hard as i'm so impatient.
    I'll pretty much be starting from scratch again as i'm a novice anyway.

My teacher will no doubt be rubbing his hands at the prospect of lots more lessons.

If anyone has recovered from a similar injury and was taught some good exercises i'd be grateful if they could pass them on

2. Peter Ferretti

Peter Ferretti Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2005
    Oooh, Thats my worst nightmare come true. Stay strong brother. My friend who broke his wrist was fine in the long run, but he did, like you said, have a lot of extra lessons. Just work at it slowly, and pray for the best.
  3. I broke my thumb over the summer and due to where it is I have 6 months til it's done. I can play though now, but not where I was before. My advice. Go to physical therapy. Spend some of the time you have that you would be practicing and do ear training, and listening intensely to whatever kind of music you like. Good Luck. ASG
  4. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2004
    I'm not a DB player but i can identify with the strains of suffering a broken wrist;I play electric and fractured my right wrist twice,it WILL come back,but you'll need a lot of patience,
    the only suggestion i can give, is slowly and consistently

5. christ andronis

christ andronis

Nov 14, 2001
    Don't be in a rush. I fractured my right wrist in college. The doctor at the infirmary wrapped it in an Ace bandage instead of putting it in a cast. The result is that it never healed properly and now it's deteriorated. Wear that cast for as long as the doctor says; it should heal fine.
  6. Thanks for all the kind words.

In a strange way I'm treating it as a bit of a blessing as i have spent the time-off focusing on rewriting material for my current band.

I've just got to reist the temptation to get back out gigging as soon as the plaster is off, although i am playing an event in two days time(while still in plaster)
    Fear not though i don't actually stop any notes, its purely an opening string drone