1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Broken Wrist

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Will Yager, May 4, 2010.

1. Will Yager

Will Yager Supporting Member

May 7, 2006
    Iowa City, IA
    So I broke my wrist on Sunday. Needless to say, the inability to play is a short road to depression. I was just wondering if any of you had experienced similar injuries and had some advice on dealing with it and ideas for constructive things to do in the meantime.

2. Yikes, sorry to hear about that. My advise would be: go and buy some new music and listen a lot. And listen again to old stuff you've ignored for years. Use this time to REALLY listen.

3. JSK5String

JSK5String

May 19, 2008
    Littleton, CO
    +1 to the time to really listen comment.

Which wrist did you break? If it's your left, you could always use the time to make your right hand quicker and stronger (if you're a finger style player that is). I have my beginner students practice 8th notes with a metronome to improve their meter. How's yours? Again, if you broke your left hand you can always work on your meter and speed/meter with a free on-line metronome. Which ever wrist you broke, don't let the other one atrophy while the broken one is healing. There are plenty of left hand exercises you can do without the rightr hand also (scale work and such). I know it's not as fun as both hands, but you do have a chance to really improve one of your hands now, don't waste it...