brokerage fee for UPS from US to Canada

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jdThumpin', Oct 7, 2005.

1. jdThumpin'

Aug 16, 2005
    hi...I would like to ask people with experience in buying used bass from the States how much did ups charged you for brokerage fee?

I bought an used roscoe for $1575USD and ups asked for $354.2 canadian as "import charges"

is that too much? how much is it usually?
  2. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    F*** i hate ups, from now on i just pick things up at the UPS store on military road in New york...

its wayyyyy cheaper...i can fill up my tank, 2wice, get some food and i still save big$$
  3. jdThumpin'

Aug 16, 2005
    they can mail it to UPS stores for people to go pick it up?
  4. jdThumpin'

Aug 16, 2005
    after some research i figure that about $275 Canadian is the tax and about $80 is the brokerage fee :(

as NAFTA stated, there are no duties but taxes are still applicable
  5. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    The fee is made up of the GST and PST plus a brokerage fee on top of the actual shipping charge.

It's all based upon a conversion from US to Cdn dollars, then the above.

You should be feeling some what lucky, with a .85 dollar it's much better than it was a couple of years ago when our dollar was down to .73 cents.

Anyway you put it, it still sucks.

6. UPS is a ripoff. The best way to send stuff to Canada is through the USPS air parcel. No brokerage fees and better service.
  7. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I paid $94 with fedex for my G&L this week.
  8. Even with UPS that seems very high to me.
  9. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    UPS are rip off artists when it comes to their fees. They have a set rate which depends on the value of the goods.
    If I am not mistaken, anything valued over 100 dollars gets charged a clearing fee of around 35 or so. They are a joke.
    Use good old US Postal service or Fedex for Canadian shipments.
  10. Yggdrasil

Aug 16, 2001

How was that broken down? I remember you saying you didn't have to pay one of the taxes - either GST or PST, can't remember which, but I've always had to pay both.

BTW, UPS & Fedex include brokerage fees in their non-ground services - sometimes it makes sense to ship via air.

As far as shipping to Fedex or UPS in the states, you can do it and bring it across the border yourself, clearing it yourself through customs - search for "hold for pickup" or "hold at fedex location"; some vendors won't send this way, though, since they will only ship to a verified address, or an address registered with your CC company.
  11. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    If you do a search using 'brokerage fees' you will find a lot of threads with some good info.

I'm surprised by folks saying shipping by air is cheaper over all.
  12. Heh, suckers having to pay PST.
  13. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    No pst for me sunshine. I ship my stuff to a mail counter and drive forty minutes, cross the border, bring it problemo.
  14. JES

JES Supporting Member

UPS gouges Canadians and should be avoided at all costs.
  15. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Bass northwest paid shipping. I had to pay for all taxes and duties from my "own country". Well I only had to pay GSt because it was not in my province so no PST. Then there was no duties. Then a letter came in with a bill. I guess when ever something goes across a boreder a brooker deals with it. That costed me so they charged me with Brooker fee and GST. so the grand total of my bass was 730. Not bad considering the first place I went to wanted 1035 and he could only sell me rosewood.

Moral of the story shop around!!!!
  16. I've ordered $k's of parts for my car from the US, and I just bought my ESP LTD B-404 from American Musical in the US. I always have the goods shipped to a small parcel depot in Ogdensburg which charges $5USD per parcel regardless of size. There's a UPS store in the same town which I believe also receives parcels. Coming back over the border you just pay the tax. You're your own broker.

Factoring in time, gas to drive there, $USD exchange, I still come out ahead on the big items.
  17. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    A while back, I bought some used pickups on ebay for about 100$ US. UPS ended up charging me around 80$ canadian for import fees and tax. I got ripped. When I order stuff by FedEx, most times, I don't even pay import fees. The worst was 35$ can for a 250$ US order, including taxes!

Brown is going down.
  18. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I go pick my things in platspurg now. No fee at all.