1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bronco 40 on the way!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Danomo, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Danomo

Danomo Guest

Apr 25, 2013
    The Mrs informed me today she tried to order me a Bronco 40 for my b-day from MF, and that they were backordered. The only time I've ever had issues with MF is on backorders, so I suggested she cancel it. She did, and told me to just order it myself.

I'm amazed a big market like Chicago does not have a SINGLE store with this amp in stock. So, I ordered it from one of the nicest online stores, Sweetwater.

I'm interested in this amp, mainly because of Reviews here, and my beloved Mustang III... I'm hoping it really is the bass version of it.

I noticed Fender had dropped the Bronco 20 from the website (I didn't imagine that did I? There WAS a 20 for a while, right?), and the link for dealers from the individual product page for the Bronco. Combine that with their not being in many meatspace stores, I was concerned maybe it was about to be dropped or upgraded (hopefully to the MIII's LCD interface). This was another reason I called Sweetwater, I've had previous occasions where they have given me the straight dope on upcoming product updates or cancellations.

I find it interesting it's one of the few Fender products that is the same MSRP as actual retail ($249). I've yet to see one on CL, though I've seen a few on eBay.

Since I'm already familiar with Fuse, there really isn't any learning curve. If I REALLY like it; I've got a 1x10 reflex cab with an eminence speaker just waiting to be connected to it.

Tuesday... Seems like months away.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  2. Danomo

Danomo Guest

Apr 25, 2013
    Got my hands on today, my first impression: Underwhelmed.

While all the built-in presets of my Mustang III were not stellar, there were at least a dozen that were amazing right out-of-the-box.

Not so on the Bronco (with any of my three basses).
    Every single one of the amp models required significant tweaking (via fuse, because the tri-color LED amp interface is VERY hard on my encroaching color-blindess). The only amp model out of the box I liked at all was the Bassman TV, that was tweaked on the third pass as well. I was very happy with the tweaked presets.

Effects: Like the mustang, you can choose whether to put the effects before or after the amplifier, and where in the chain... Thank heavens for that, because the stompbox envelope filter being pre and first in line sounded like the speaker was frying. Switching it to behind a ducking delay, and adding a noise gate gave me a perfect "Lets Dance" synth tone. When you switch from pre to post amp, the device goes from "stompbox" to "rackmount" and sometimes gives you more controls.

This is a nice practice device, and could be setup as a gigging rig (if DI'd into a PA), but the toy-like interface (ala Mustang I/II), is a far cry from the Mustang III-IV LCD display. I'm amazed Fender doesn't consider Fuse via iOS or Android, or that someone hasn't hacked it to do so.

I'm hoping I don't find out in the next week that Fender is dousing the Bronco (or the Mustang series) during NAMM.

Fender JP-90
    Epi Bass Club #169 JC sig